From the studio

Four-piece band Conroy Blanc draws inspiration from 1960s, 1970s California surf music

Without the TV show “Rocket Power,” Conroy Blanc would never exist.

The band, named after a character from the Nickelodeon show, formed last April after four friends at Syracuse University started playing music together. Guitarist and vocalist Adam Greenberg said the character represented the members’ personalities well.

“I think it kind of encompasses us. He’s kind of goofy, and we’re kind of goofy,” said Greenberg, a junior television, radio and film major. “And it’s a cool name.”

Last May, Conroy Blanc released its first EP, “Dad, I’m Trying,” which was recorded in the span of one day in the bedroom of one of its members. Greenberg, who runs local cassette tape label Shammy Tapes, released 20 tapes of the EP via his label, which are currently sold out. The EP is also available for streaming on Bandcamp and SoundCloud.

Johnny Pflieger, the band’s bass player, said the EP’s title came from a running joke within the band, in which members would refer to each other as “Dad” when someone was being authoritative. The EP features four songs with memorable titles like “50 Cent Shot At My Uncle.”

Pflieger, a junior television, radio and film major, said the band doesn’t aim to make any particular statements with its music, and sees it more as a creative outlet. He said most of the riffs they create come together quickly because the band members listen to similar music.

“It’s just little pop songs. They don’t mean much, and I think that’s what we go for,” Pflieger said. “We don’t want them to mean too much. We just kind of put stuff together and it sounds cool when we’re writing it.”

The group, a self-described “surf-y speed pop” band, is greatly influenced by what Greenberg referred to as the “surf psychedelic movement in California” of the 1960s and 1970s.

“The joke’s that we’re a surf rock band in Syracuse, so a lot of our lyrics are about the beach and other summery stuff, and, you know, it’s below freezing out,” Greenberg said.

The band’s last performance was at the WERW Launch Party on Sept. 20. They often perform shows at parties and in the basement of Greenberg’s home.

“I like playing live a lot,” Pflieger said. “It’s a lot of fun. It’s a total rush. You feel gross and disgusting and excited, and it’s cool.”

As a band formed by a group of friends, every member of Conroy Blanc agreed on one thing — the hardest part about being in the band is getting everyone together to practice and make music.

Since all four members of Conroy Blanc will be studying abroad in the spring, the band plans on releasing another EP before the end of this semester. The group’s members will be living together in the same house for their final year at SU, and plan on continuing making music next fall as well.

Henry Schoonmaker, the band’s drummer and “gig facilitator,” said that Conroy Blanc’s dynamic as being both friends and musicians has made being a part of the group a positive experience.

“Having a good time with my bros, playing shows, having something physical, having music that I can say is mine, is cool, is gratifying,” Schoonmaker said. “(I like) just how organic it is and how open to creativity it is.”

The group describes itself as more of a fun band than a serious one, and Pflieger said everything from the band’s name to the group’s dynamic reflects this.

Pflieger said that the band “jams” and that songs form naturally when the band gets together to collaborate. He added that the group works well together because they spend so much time together.

Guitarist Kevin McCallum, a junior double major in music industry and art history, has one message for listeners.

“If you see Conroy, you’re going to have some fun,” McCallum said. “You’re going to have a good time.”