Letters to the Editor

Editorial board undermines work of women, ‘Elect Her’

I would like to personally thank The Daily Orange Editorial Board for today’s letter about “Elect Her.” The letter undermines the work of women, who are working to empower other women, by slamming the workshop with unsupported and falsified statements, thusly proving why we need a workshop, such as “Elect Her,” at Syracuse University.

This editorial managed to provide a clear example how media hurts efforts made by strong women to speak about serious issues. Disparaging articles and segments in the media are prime examples as to why we don’t see very many women in office — nevertheless, running for an elected position.
The article argues that this workshop is only geared for women interested in going out for politics. As the head coordinator of this event, and an education major, I can certainly say that women do not need to be a political science major to have a strong voice and opinion. I am capable of fighting sexism just as much as women in politics. Moreover, if the editorial board read the “Elect Her” article published by SU News, they would have read my interview that the workshop is open to all students interested in entering any leadership position.

The reason as to why I chose Jean Kessner, Kathleen Joy and members of the Student Association to be speakers at the event was simply because “Elect Her’” is a workshop that travels to different universities around the country and asks for speakers in elected positions, communications and student government. By no means was I excluding or overlooking women in other fields throughout my selection process.
Lastly, the workshop has a major component explaining the challenges women face when running for office from the media. I hope that The Daily Orange Editorial Board is able to attend “Elect Her” to gain some tips on how to effectively communicate so mistakes such as this article are not made again.

Adrianna Kam ‘15