Duke head coach Cutcliffe analyzes upcoming matchup against Syracuse

Though Syracuse and Duke didn’t play each other last season, having enough common opponents gave David Cutcliffe plenty of looks at the Orange on tape.

This week, he’s game-planning for his No. 22 Blue Devils (7-1, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) to finally get their shot at SU (3-6, 1-4) when the two sides square off in the Carrier Dome on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. Duke is coming off a thrilling 51-48 double-overtime victory over Pittsburgh, a team Cutcliffe compared to the Orange during the ACC coaches’ teleconference Wednesday afternoon before praising Syracuse’ freshman quarterback AJ Long and the offense around him.

“Big, physical team,” Cutcliffe said of SU, “… one that I think’s just continued to get better with all of the changes they’ve had to go through at quarterback but you see every game, every play that young quarterback has continued to get better.

“… One of the things they give you a problem with is that (head) coach (Scott) Shafer does a great job of discipline and having them playing hard and competing every down, so you better strap it on and be ready to play. That’s who they are.”

Cutcliffe mentioned the experience the Orange has on both sides of the ball and the problems and pressures that Syracuse’s defense poses to an opposing offense.

Despite Long having thrown four touchdowns to six interceptions, completing less than 60 percent of his passes and averaging fewer than 185 passing yards per game, Cutcliffe’s still impressed by the talent that Long has flashed.

The head coach praised the quarterback’s quick release, toughness and how he keeps his eyes downfield.

“He had faced a pretty outstanding rush last week in North Carolina State and he’s accurate,” Cutcliffe said. “He’s accurate with the ball deep, he’s accurate on curls and outs. I think he’s a terrific young football player.”

The weapons Long is surrounded with, he said, are “outstanding.”

Cutcliffe complimented SU’s running backs for their quickness, strength and ability to break tackles before raving about SU’s group of wide receivers.

“I think their receivers are terrific at catching balls under duress or when they are contested,” Cutcliffe said. “They seem to win the battle all the time and that’s the sign of a good receiver.

“I think they’re playing their best football right now.”