Cash Cash pumps up crowd in final Bandersnatch show of fall semester

When Cash Cash was first signed to a record label, the group didn’t know what to call itself.

Jean Paul Makhlouf, one of the group’s members, said no one could agree on anything and they had “pages and pages” of potential names.

“So I was like, ‘We should just name this group Cash Cash, since everyone’s after our cash and we don’t even have any yet,’” Makhlouf said. “And we looked at each other and just kind of laughed, and decided that was our name.

Makhlouf and his longtime friend Samuel Frisch are two members of the electronic dance music group Cash Cash, who performed at the Schine Underground on Wednesday evening as the second and final act of University Union’s Bandersnatch Concert Series this semester. Makhlouf’s brother Alex, the group’s third member, was not at the show.

“A lot of times, only two of us will do the shows and one person will stay back in the studio,” Makhlouf said before their set. “We’re constantly making new music.”

Cash Cash began its set with a snippet of “Take Me Home,” one of the group’s biggest hits. Audience members immediately recognized the song and sang along. Makhlouf and Frisch danced and jumped around the stage as three large television screens behind their soundboard displayed kaleidoscopic images, which changed to beat of the music.

Makhlouf said their group really saw the success of “Take Me Home” grow slowly, but steadily, which allowed them to appreciate the increase of the song’s popularity.

“It was always one of those things you couldn’t imagine happening and the fact that it happened — it was one of those priceless feelings,” Makhlouf said. “It just makes you reflect on all the hard work you put in.”

The group entertained the crowd with its original songs like “Satellites,” “Surrender” and “Lightning,” which features the voice of John Rzeznik, the lead singer of Goo Goo Dolls. Students cheered and waved their hands in the air for remixes of songs such as “Treasure” by Bruno Mars or “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities.

Before Cash Cash took the stage, two opening acts gave the crowd an initial boost of energy. Julian Nelums, the winner of UU’s student DJ competition, was first to perform for a crowd of about 30 people. As Nelums kept playing, stragglers continued to walk in and join the growing crowd.

Nelums, a sophomore international relations major, said he never expected to win the competition. He had DJed for events before, but never played a concert until Wednesday night.

“I was really nervous actually, but it was pretty all right,” Nelums said after his set. “It was good exposure and it felt great to play for a crowd.”

Joel Almand, a rising DJ from Buffalo, was the second opening act. Almand’s songs ranged from remixes of recent hits such as “Maps” by Maroon 5 to unusual throwbacks like “I Found a Way” by Drake Bell and “Everywhere You Look” by Jesse Frederick, the theme songs of the TV programs “Drake & Josh” and “Full House,” respectively.

Students were dancing in anticipation for the group’s performance. Many stayed by the water containers to rehydrate as their dancing wore them out, but they went back in and continued to do dance anyway. By the time Cash Cash came on, the Schine Underground was packed.

The crowd groaned when Makhlouf eventually announced Cash Cash was finishing up. Despite the announcement, the crowd kept its energy high.

With one or two songs left to play, Makhlouf and Frisch walked up to the platforms, separating themselves from the crowd, and sprayed fans with water, bringing the crowd to cheer louder despite anticipating the show’s end.

Makhlouf and Frisch ended their performance by reprising “Take Me Home,” this time playing it in its entirety, and chose to stay and take pictures with pleased fans.