Men's basketball

Beat writers expect Syracuse to defeat Holy Cross in Carrier Dome

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

Daily Orange basketball beat writers predict Syracuse to beat Holy Cross in the Carrier Dome before heading to Michigan on Tuesday.

Phil D’Abbraccio (4-1): Syracuse 68, Holy Cross 45
Cross your Ts
Another nonconference game in the Dome, another win. Syracuse heads into Tuesday’s matchup at Michigan with a winning streak after picking up this tune-up victory against an inferior opponent, despite question marks on offense that will remain unanswered as SU enters the heat of its nonconference slate.

Jesse Dougherty (5-0): Syracuse 74, Holy Cross 55
Happy holidays
Holy Cross likes to speed up games with a high-pressure defense and up-tempo attack. That works against the teams it’s used to playing, but not against Syracuse in what turns out to be another nonconference cake walk for the Orange. With a game against Michigan looming, SU uses this one to fine tune an offense that has been less-than-impressive so far this year. But there will be opportunities to break against the Crusaders, and that is an area the Orange hasn’t struggled in.

Jacob Klinger (4-1): Syracuse 75, Holy Cross 57
Board Crucifixion
Holy Cross has cleaned up the glass for 32.7 rebounds per game through three contests this season. But the Crusaders won’t be able to do nearly as well against the Orange. As a result, a Holy Cross squad that’s used to running the floor will be run off it in the Carrier Dome as Christian White makes his debut in a blowout win. Also, taco time.