Men's Soccer

Bono’s 7 saves help Syracuse past Duke in ACC tournament quarterfinals

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Syracuse goalkeeper Alex Bono leaps to make a save in the Orange's 2-0 ACC tournament quarterfinal win over Duke. The junior recorded seven saves, tied for a season high, en route to his 12th shutout of the year.

Alex Bono dove to his left as he tipped Bryson Asher’s knee-high shot out of bounds in the 28th minute.

Then he stood up, repositioned his feet in preparation for a corner kick and adjusted to block away Brian White’s header just a few seconds later.

Bono, who had posted 11 shutouts in 17 games this season heading into Sunday, rose to the occasion when another clean sheet was in jeopardy.

“He’s just a presence back there,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said.

In No. 1 Syracuse’s (15-2-1, 5-2-1 Atlantic Coast) 2-0 shutout of Duke (9-9-1, 4-4) in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament at SU Soccer Stadium, Bono had to do most of the diving. In a season where he has been the captain of defense that he says has made his job easy, this shutout was in large part thanks to him and his ability steer SU through some tense first-half moments.

Bono’s seven saves — five in the first half — were a season high during a win. The Orange’s seven goals allowed in 2014 remain tied for a Division I best.

“When we call upon him, he’s always there to make the save, which we need,” senior defender Jordan Murrell said. “(The defense) can’t always stop every shot, but we try our best.

“Bono kept a clean sheet again today, and we kept a clean sheet. We’re very happy.”

In the first minute of the game, though, Bono was almost caught flat-footed. Brody Huitema headed a ball off a cross right off the crossbar. Bono didn’t move or jump, and the Blue Devils were inches away from running out in front.

On the next offensive possession, Huitema fired a shot to the bottom right of the goal, but Bono had the ball slip past him and stay in play.

Sandwiched by SU goals scored by Alex Halis and Nick Perea, the Blue Devils had seven opportunities to get on the board in the first half.

“You’ve just got to keep your focus through that time and hope that we’ll get back on top of the game,” Bono said. “But there are times in the game when they’re on top of us, but we just have to weather it and get back on top.”

Syracuse eventually took control of the game in the second half. It had most of the possession, and took nine of the 13 shots. But after Bono made his seventh and final save of the day in the 52nd minute, the fans that packed the hill behind his goal started chanting his name.

Bono, as he has all season, refused to take credit for the shutout — the 30th of his career — and said that his clean sheet on Sunday was indicative of what the defense has done all year.

“That’s what this team’s about,” Bono said. “Laying your body on the line for everyone else on this team. That’s what I’d do for any one of my teammates and that’s what I’d hope any one of them would do for me.”