Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Nick Ryan

Joshua Chang | Staff Photographer

Nick Ryan became a vegan when he was 15. He said that his life journey led him to make the decision. Ryan started Strong Hearts Café to offer good vegan options.

Nick Ryan struggled to find food options when he first became a vegan, so now he serves them up for others.

A vegan since he was 15 years old, Ryan co-founded Strong Hearts Cafe in May 2008 with Joel Capolongo as a new way of thinking about vegan activism. Strong Hearts is a local cafe that serves exclusively vegan food made without milk, eggs, meat or animal products of any kind.

“We could get to more people’s hearts and minds through feeding them good, tasty food than we could by standing on a corner holding up a sign,” said Ryan, a 2006 Syracuse University graduate.

Originally from the small town of Weedsport, New York, Ryan took early interest in animal activism after a constant search for information through books, brochures and web images. Eventually, he made a decision that would change his life: to go vegan.

“My life journey led me to it,” Ryan said. “I didn’t have any health reasons for it, I didn’t have any spiritual reasons, but a very morally based decision”.

At a time when vegan options were not readily available, Ryan’s decision was not easy. Although his father tried shipping tofu into the grocery store and his mother tried to cook separate meals to accommodate him, Ryan found it difficult to find support for his newly adopted lifestyle.

“I needed to feed myself, and I was willing to do that,” Ryan said.

But since then, Ryan has been feeding others.

During his time as an undergraduate at SU, Ryan met Capolongo at the Syracuse Animal Rights Organization. The two gained considerable experience in animal activism before deciding to open up Strong Hearts.

“We decided we could start a business that could support us, support our friends and can also support our ideals and our morals and hopefully support change,” Ryan said.

Recently, Ryan has also been exploring the spiritual aspects of veganism — embracing the idea of a connection with animals, as well as with the earth in general.

“Where I’m at is trying to make a choice that’s best for me and best for the world,” Ryan said.