National

Torbush fosters renewal of football program at East Tennessee

Courtesy of ETSU Athletics

Carl Torbush was highly recommended by those he was pitted against for the East Tennessee head coaching job, and that made it an easy choice for the program. Now he's preparing the team to resume play in the 2015 season.

Carl Torbush had no intention of ever coaching football again after 39 years on the job. He had retired on Douglas Lake in Eastern Tennessee and was content with life in his lake house. 

But a call from former national champion coach and longtime friend Phillip Fulmer revived his career. Fulmer was initially the primary coaching candidate to resurrect the East Tennessee State University football program. But he thought Torbush, who grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee, would jump at the chance to take charge of a program in his home state.

“Two or three of our final candidates told us, ‘Well if I get the job, the first thing I’m going to do is hire Carl Torbush to be my defensive coordinator,’” Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Richard Sander said.

That made the choice obvious for Sander.

Now Torbush, a former national defensive coordinator of the year, is trying to not only lead a football team, but also completely rebuild a program that shut down in 2003 due to financial constraints. His soft, southern accent and Tennessee roots help him represent the program that’s building a team that hopes to start playing competitive games when it joins the Southern Conference next season.

He has a team with full gear going through an entire season of scrimmages to prepare for its first official game in 12 years — on Sept. 3, 2015 against Kennesaw State.

“He isn’t just coaching us on the field,” freshman receiver Adam Mitchell said. “He’s turning us into good people that can become good fathers, good husbands and it’s not all about football with him.”

The rebuilding process progresses each day, starting with a horn blaring at 4:30 p.m. to signal the start of practice that revs up a different side of Torbush.

When hired a year ago, Torbush was handed an empty roster without names on it. Through a series of meticulous tryouts and recruiting with his two assistant coaches, the roster now is full with 85 names.

But football experience was only one facet of what ETSU was looking for in its next coach. The program that had fought just to start again needed a face and an ambassador. That’s what ETSU found in Torbush, who prides himself on attending every home sporting event.

“It’s comparable to running for political office,” Torbush said. “I get out and speak to as many organizations, churches and schools as I can to spread the word and goodwill of East Tennessee State.

“I’m basically speaking every day and every night.”

The football coach by day, salesman by night lifestyle isn’t likely to end in his immediate future. Torbush’s job is to breathe life back into a program left for dead by the university and fans a decade ago.

He’s experienced the collective bravado surrounding a dynastic program like Alabama, where he coached from 2001–02, and dealt with a minuscule Division II program at his alma mater, Carson-Newman, from 2006–08.

He can balance his team’s own budget and he can convince players to stay home in Tennessee to play football.

Because in a lot of ways, he’s done the same thing.

“They don’t have to worry about me going anywhere else,” Torbush said, “Because I’m going to be here at East Tennessee to see where we can take this thing.

“This is going to be my last stop.”