Tickets for ‘Orange is the New Black’ actress to be available Monday

Tickets to see actress Laverne Cox speak at Syracuse University will be available Monday.

Tickets are free and limited to two per person and are available at the Schine Box Office in the Schine Student Center. Tickets are available to both students and the general public. Cox is a star on Netflix’s hit television series “Orange is the New Black” and will be the keynote speaker for the LGBT Resource Center’s Coming Out Month event on Oct. 29 at 7:30 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Cox will be addressing the intersection of complex identities during her speech.

Coming Out Month is the LGBT Resource Center’s month-long celebration of support for the LGBT community.  Previous keynote speakers include Emi Koyama of eminism.org and Kenyon Farrow, the former executive director of Queers for Economic Justice.

Cox has gained recognition for playing Sophia Burset, a trans* inmate and hairdresser, on “Orange is the New Black.” The show received 12 primetime Emmy Award nominations in 2014. She was also the first openly trans* actress nominated for an Emmy Award in an acting category, being nominated for outstanding guest actress in a comedy series. Cox is also the first trans* woman to appear on the VH1 show, “I Wanna Work for Diddy.”

Cox produces and co-hosts the VH1 makeover television series “TRANSform Me.” On June 9, Cox became the first openly trans* person to appear on the cover of Time magazine.