Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Buffalo Bill’s America’s Original Pumpkin Ale

Victoria Krog | Staff Photographer

Buffalo Bill’s America’s Original Pumpkin Ale is one of the many pumpkin-flavored foods that hits the shelves in the fall. Unlike its name, it has no strong pumpkin taste.

Come fall, every food product from Pop-Tarts to Pinnacle Vodka gets a new addition to the roster. The invasive flavor sweeps through grocery stores like a forest fire, leaving no aisle unchanged. Starbucks perhaps invented the most prominent harbinger of fall when it introduced its now-acclaimed autumn drink way back in 2003.

Yes, I’m talking about the pumpkin-flavored indulgences that infest shopping markets as soon as the leaves begin to change. Doughnuts, coffee, bread — all three of my essential food groups are subjugated by the horrible, too-sweet pumpkin flavor I have come to detest. I always thought at least beer was safe from the ruthless marketers who corrupt perfectly good food in favor of the classic fall taste.

I was wrong. Since 1985, Buffalo Bill’s Brewing Company has released America’s Original Pumpkin Ale to beer distributors across the country. This ale, crafted with real pumpkin and natural spice flavors, is available in stores from August to November.

Upon opening this brew, I immediately smelled pumpkin pie and the spices listed on the bottle: cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I poured the beer into a glass and watched as its thin, fizzy head quickly dissolved into the amber-colored liquid.

Taking my first sip, I expected to taste artificial pumpkin flavoring. Instead, I was surprised to find that the beer did not have a very strong pumpkin taste at all. It was very smooth and I only noticed the pumpkin a little bit as I let the beer settle on the back of my tongue.

The barely carbonated brew had a malty flavor and felt heavy in my mouth. Earthy flavors also came into play as I continued to sip the beer. I found that it was easier to taste the spices than the namesake pumpkin flavor.

For a girl who does not enjoy the pumpkin plague that befalls supermarkets as autumn settles in, America’s Original Pumpkin Ale was a pleasant surprise. This amber ale has just a hint of pumpkin that is outshined by the smooth, natural flavors at the heart of this brew.