Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Stephen Brucker

Stephen Brucker’s tattoos all have one common theme: the importance of family.

Brucker, a senior international relations major, grew up with two deaf older brothers and knew sign language before he could talk. His mother, oddly enough, taught at a deaf school before she had deaf children. After the birth of his sons, his father took night classes to learn American Sign Language.

“When I was a little kid, I didn’t know what being deaf meant. I just knew that I had to talk to them differently than I would talk to my parents,” Brucker said.

The tattoo on the left side of his chest is “I love you” in American Sign Language, and it includes the names of his brothers, mother and father. The tattoo also has a red infinity sign to represent the idea that love is everlasting.

Brucker said growing up with two deaf older brothers was difficult at times.

“The simplest things, like going through a drive-thru, were difficult for them unless I was with them,” he said. “But they kind of started building on their own and helping each other out.”

His brothers Daniel and Christopher, now 27 and 29 respectively, live independently. Both men decided against getting cochlear implants, devices that are surgically implanted into the ear and can provide a sense of sound. Brucker said his brothers feel that they were made this way for a reason.

Brucker also has a tattoo on his right bicep and shoulder, which includes the quote “The Love of a Family is Life’s Greatest Blessing,” dog tags with his grandfather’s initials and an American flag.

This tattoo honors his uncle who died in 2001 after being shot outside of his home. But the American flag is representative of Brucker’s love for the country, as he is part of the Syracuse University Army ROTC program. After 9/11, he said he knew he wanted to be in the army.

Brucker said his tattoos are a nice way to represent his passions in life — and most importantly, his family.

Said Brucker: “We’re always there for each other.”