Letters to the Editor

SU students should participate in Orange Central activities

In 1870, a lot more was established than just a university in Syracuse. An institution was established that would foster hundreds of traditions over the next 144 years and beyond. The kissing bench has been sealing the romantic fate of couples since the class of 1912 left it there by the Hall of Languages. Winter Carnival has helped get students out of their dorms to enjoy the cold rather than hide from it since 1933. And Homecoming, or Orange Central as it’s now called, began as a way to unite students in Orange against a rival on the football field.  

This year, Orange Central is Oct. 6–11. On Monday and Tuesday students can pick up their official Orange Central shirts from the Schine Atrium from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. For years we have been creating specially designed shirts and posters to promote the week’s events and unify the students under one “banner” in a sense, and we hope all of the students who get the T-shirts wear them for the game and keep it for years to come.

Sure, not all traditions pass the test of time. So instead of parades and competitions, we have a night of Trivia (Oct. 8), and an amazing Danceworks show where the King and Queen of the Homecoming Court will be announced (Oct. 10). As members of the Traditions Commission we strive to create new traditions that work for this generation of Syracuse students while remembering that the traditions of supporting and representing all things Orange will never fade. As Orange Central begins this week, it’s the responsibility of the students to participate in the any capacity they can. The Traditions Commission is urging students to get back to the roots of Homecoming and the roots of the university itself by showing pride for this beautiful school on the Hill. 

Ben Glidden
Public Relations
Class of 2015
Vice President of Traditions Commission 

Regina King
Supply Chain, Finance, EEE
Class of 2015
President of Traditions Commission