Letter to the Editor

Attending protest could urge SU to listen to concerns about changes

What would a caring, engaged, honest university administration whose top priority was the needs of students, faculty, staff and the larger world look like? What would those administrators do if they wanted to fix the damage their actions had caused —in terms of trust, resources and policy?

After the administration’s shameful closure of the Advocacy Center, announcement of cuts to the POSSE and HEOP programs, the rejection of the University Senate’s proposed tenure and promotion policy and the decision to not divest from fossil fuels, the student body became aware of changes the administration has been making without the knowledge or consent of students and faculty. It is clear now, in instances too numerous to describe here, that the administration is turning focus away from values of diversity, and rather toward higher academic ratings and rankings; away from transparency and accountability, and toward secretive, top-heavy models of dominance; away from values of community engagement and towards the Ivory Tower on the Hill model; away from considering itself a university and toward functioning as a corporation.

Priorities. Chancellor Kent Syverud has been a no-show at all three Listening Meetings about the closure of the Advocacy Center. No reason has been offered for his absences. We understand that the chancellor can’t be everywhere at once; however, he does make choices about where to be based on his priorities. His absence seems a clear indicator of where we are headed as a university.

At the #Rally4Consent on Sept.17, Syverud was asked, “Can you make a commitment to never close down a center like this, vital to students, again in this way without consent, without figuring out a replacement plan?” Syverud refused.

One might think he could at least agree to consult with students and faculty before making crucial changes to student life, but he won’t. Watch on Youtube: “Chancellor Syverud receives a petition during SU’s #Rally4Consent.” We have repeatedly experienced frustration with top administrators who seem more concerned with saving face than having open, honest dialogue.

We need action, not talk. To that end, we have joined forces with 50 other student groups in sponsoring a Diversity and Transparency Rally on Monday at 3:30 p.m. by the steps of Hendricks Chapel. If you care about the future of SU, please join us! Find more info on Facebook event: D.A.T. Rally and the group THE General Body SU.

On behalf of the Campaign for an Advocacy Center, joining with THE General Body SU:

Becca Glaser, creative writing, MFA ‘15; Danielle Reed, NAACP and editor in chief of The Black Voice, African American studies and Spanish ‘16; Hasmik Djoulakian, Divest SU and Campaign for an Advocacy Center ‘17; Yanira Rodriguez, composition and cultural rhetoric Ph.D. student; Farrell Brenner, women’s & gender studies and citizenship & civic engagement ‘17; Mali Golomb-Leavitt, president of Active Minds, psychology ‘15; Chiara Klein, Divest SU, treasurer of Active Minds; English & textual studies ‘14; Sarah Schuster, vice president of Active Minds, magazine journalism ‘14; Chen Chen, creative writing MFA ‘15; Belinda Keysor, previous employee of Residence Life, R.A.P.E. Center and Counseling Center; Madeleine Slade, secretary of SASSE ‘16; Donasia Sykes ‘15; Daniel Cheifer, humanities center dissertation fellow, Ph.D. Candidate, religion department; Molly Mendenhal ‘15; Ambra Tieszen, SASSE ’15; Laura Cohen, ‘15