Letters to the Editor

Student responds to #ExpressSU event

The #ExpressSU event on Thursday was one of the most powerful and moving events I had ever personally attended. The event was eye-opening to the everyday challenges people of different race, class, sexual orientation, etc. encounter everyday. To hear that some people belittle these members of our community is confusing, as I am proud to go to a university with people who have the kind of courage that the people in that room had on Thursday.

My advice and words can’t be as powerful and emotional as the ones offered by those of minority who experience discrimination and racism everyday. But I believe that just because I am not one offended, it does not mean I can’t be involved. In fact I feel compelled to be involved in helping create a better community and I hope others feel the same way. In my mind fulfilling my responsibility does not mean just not being part of the problem, but that I should be actively part of the solution. I shouldn’t feel satisfied if I just don’t practice racism; I should feel satisfied when the problem is gone after I’ve actively been part of the solution to discourage racism.

I encourage all to join this cause so that someday my friends and peers can feel comfortable on this campus that is all of our homes.

James Franco
Class of 2018