From the studio

Shiffley combines pop, electronic elements in third EP

Shira Stoll | Staff photographer

(From left) Shaune Killough and Alex Ganes are two of the five members of the “bubblegum synth rock” band Shiffley. The group will perform at Quinnipiac University in November.

Whether it’s song lyrics, classical scores or comic book characters, Alex Ganes likes to create.

Ganes, a senior music composition major, named the band Shiffley after one of his many comic book characters. Ganes said he felt the character’s name translated well into a band name, and the group now uses it to creatively market itself.

“We use it in creative ways that are somewhat fun,” Ganes said. “We take the first syllable ‘shiff,’ and we replace — excuse my language — we replace sh*t, so we can say ‘Scare the Shiff’,’ ‘Shiffstorm,’ Shiffshow.’”

Ganes, the band’s lead singer and songwriter, and friends from past bands formed Shiffley three years ago. He said that while the band didn’t start out polished, the chemistry between its members allowed for a creative environment to get to where they wanted to be musically.

As performers, Shiffley is becoming increasingly more experienced. Most notably, the band opened for Twenty One Pilots when the musical duo performed at Syracuse University last October.

Shiffley describes itself as a “bubblegum synth rock” band due to its pop-like sound and use of direct synth lines. The group differentiates its sound from other bands’ by emphasizing synthesizers and bass guitar lines, rather than a more traditional focus on lead guitar lines.

The group’s different sound also stems from the fact that its lead guitarist, Will Rosati, comes from a different musical background. Rosati, a junior music industry major, became the fifth member of Shiffley when he joined last semester. Rosati brings his knowledge of EDM music production to the band.

“I’d like to think that we’re kind of exploring new directions,” Rosati said. “There were a lot of pop punk elements to (the music), and I think that with my addition, because I’m really into producing electronic music, that we’re coming on to a more unique sound (by) adding more electronic elements to it.”

Shiffley is currently working on its third EP, “Anthem City.” Comprised of four songs, the EP was recorded by the group and then mixed at The Cutting Room Studios in New York City. Ganes said the depth of the instrumentals on the latest EP is what sets it apart from the group’s previous work.

Although Shiffley is experienced in the studio, Ganes said that live performances are his favorite part of being in the band.

“The most rewarding thing is just the performance aspect of it and having the experience — sharing an experience with the brothers in the band and random people I’ve never met,” Ganes said.

Shiffley makes its performances memorable through its antics onstage. One antic involves Kearney Erhard, a recent graduate of SU and a friend of the band. Kearney, known as Captain Kearney, dresses up as a pirate and leads the “Shiffley Armada,” a group encompassing anyone involved with the band, and he often appears at their shows. Dancing robot men occasionally take the stage as well.

It is this aspect of the band’s performances that drummer Bryan Contreras said sets it apart.

“Each show we try to think of something out of the box,” said Contreras, a recent graduate of State University of New York at Old Westbury. “If your live show is lacking, then everything else is going to be.”

Shiffley has three concerts coming up in November on the East Coast, starting with a performance at Quinnipiac University. Ganes said that performances inspire him to write songs in the first place.

“After people hear the music and know the music, singing the music in front of those people — that’s the best thing ever,” Ganes said. “Songs are basically just conflicts I have with myself and sort of my way of telling people about them. To have people sing that back to me and understand that, that’s just a strong feeling and makes me sort of come to terms with those conflicts.”

Shiffley hopes to pursue the band full time when all of its members graduate. One of the band’s songs was featured in commercials for the television show “Hardcore Pawn” this past summer. It’s opportunities like these that have motivated Shiffley to continue pursuing its passion.

“If this (the band) isn’t going to make it now, then it’s never going to happen, I guess. This is the best opportunity we’re going to get, and we might as well take it now while we’re still young and still foolish,” Ganes said.

As Shiffley continues to perform, Ganes has one message for listeners: “Share the Shiff.”