Shafer discusses Syracuse’s adjustments in practice due to injuries

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said he has to adjust the team’s practices due to the number of injuries on the team during his Tuesday teleconference.

For players set to get more time, Shafer is emphasizing repetition of the plays and schemes they may need to run when the Orange (2-4, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) takes on Wake Forest (2-4, 0-2) on Saturday at noon. He’s also working on not running certain plays.

The players who were all out for SU’s 38-20 loss to then-No. 1 Florida State on Saturday were: sophomore linebacker Luke Arciniega, junior wide receiver Alvin Cornelius, senior nose tackle Eric Crume, sophomore wide receiver Brisly Estime, senior offensive tackle Ivan Foy, junior quarterback Terrel Hunt, senior receiver Jeremiah Kobena, sophomore tight end Kendall Moore, junior cornerback Wayne Morgan, junior receiver Ashton Broyld and freshman free safety Rodney Williams.

“We’ve tried to manage it as well as we can,” Shafer said. “The adjustments have probably been more so in what type of plays we want to stay away from and what type of plays we have to get the next player in in any of those particular positions.”

He also said he’ll be rotating players on both sides of the line and in the pass game against different fronts and coverages.

“We try to accentuate the pieces and parts of the game plan to those new kids and make sure that they’re getting the feel for running those plays against the different looks, whether it be up front with the linemen on either side or on the other side of things in the passing game,” Shafer said. “So it’s more adjusting repetition and scheme as much as anything.”