Field hockey

Seniors Brooks, Page connect for opening score in Syracuse’s Senior Day victory over Bucknell

Lauren Brooks and Jordan Page exited J.S. Coyne Stadium on game day for likely the last time Sunday, but in the same way they did for almost every game of their Syracuse careers — as winners.

The two leaders helped translate the emotions of Senior Day into an early goal, as Brooks scored off of a deflected pass from Page just 8:04 into the game. It set the tone early as No. 10 Syracuse (12-4, 2-4 Atlantic Coast) cruised to a 4-0 victory over Bucknell (10-5, 5-0 Patriot) on Sunday in front of 367 fans at J.S. Coyne Stadium.

Brooks and Page have only lost two home games during their time at Syracuse, one last postseason and a Sept. 20 loss to Boston College this year. Unless SU hosts an NCAA tournament game, the seniors have played their final game in Syracuse.

“Coyne brings back so many memories,” Brooks said. “It’s crazy how this is my last game (here). I can’t believe it.”

Having leaders like Brooks, Page and senior transfer Kati Nearhouse has been crucial for developing a team that currently includes 10 freshmen.

Freshman Lies Lagerweij talked about how much they have helped her and her fellow teammates’ growth. The hard-hitting Lagerweij’s progress showed this weekend, when she returned from injury to score a goal against Duke on Saturday and then had two goals against Bucknell off penalty corners Sunday.

“They are great team players,” Lagerweij said. “They push us on and off the field. They literally pulled us through our 2K fitness test. They do everything for us and we just want to give everything to the end of the season to show them how much we are going to miss them next year.”

Head coach Ange Bradley said the seniors’ willingness to do whatever their head coach asked of them, even if it meant less playing time or a different position, helped make her job easier, she said.

“All three of them surrender themselves to the team,” Bradley said. “It’s not about them. That mentality has been really, really helpful. That trust, that belief and that faith and I’ll do whatever I can for my team is what I love about the three of them.”

Page has played in the backfield to play center back or forward. On Sunday, she played composed and controlled as usual from the center back position by getting the ball into the circle near her teammate Brooks, leading to the team’s first goal.

After having to play at a 1-0 deficit throughout almost the entire game the day prior against Duke, the seniors knew how important it was to get off to a good start and score first.

“It was really exciting,” Brooks said of her early goal. “It kind of set the pace for the game, so it was good to get one early.”

As the game continued, Syracuse shut down the Bucknell offense, allowing only two shots and no corners.

“We just had a lot of rotations.” Bradley said of her team’s ability to not allow a corner. “I’m glad we’re finally growing up a little bit and getting some faith in ourselves and each other.”

After four years full of wins but also long postseason runs capped by defeat, the seniors have mixed emotions about the end of their Syracuse careers.

“It’s a very bittersweet feeling,” Page said. “I love my team and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to play at Syracuse for four years and be a part of this group.”