Campus Issues

Rodgers: University must ensure diversity conversation extends beyond forum

On Thursday, the student-university forum “Express Yourself: A Syracuse University Community Conversation on Diversity and Inclusion” took place in Hendricks Chapel. Led by members of the university’s leadership team, the event was a time for students, faculty and administrators to come together and discuss the fragile state of the university.

“Express Yourself” was a good step for continuing conversations and creating an inclusive space on campus. But above all, the event should serve as a wake-up call for SU to ensure that the important messages coming out of these conversations are not confined to the same groups identifying with these issues. The next step for the university should be to ensure that conversations about inclusiveness are not just preaching to the choir.

The university NAACP chapter, along with student organizations such as Pride Union, made strides in recognizing this need through a silent protest held just before the start of the forum. Students could be found sitting on the front steps of Hendricks Chapel with signs saying things such as, “We Exist,” “Why Do I Have to Choose Between My Identities” and “Send Me Emails About Your Thoughts on the Concerns of Your Students” to name a few. The silent protest spoke volumes in expressing that students are not content with current practices of the university, and that all standpoints should be valued.

As a junior, I have been to a countless number of forums, panels and discussions on campus centered on these same topics. Students oftentimes leave these events feeling frustrated that the conversations are redundant, and that the same groups of people always attend. “Express Yourself” may have started to bridge the gap between talk and action, but a general consensus among many of the people in attendance was that the stories and thoughts being discussed were things that the entire campus should be aware of.

With the many changes occurring at SU, there have been very few dull moments this semester in activism. Groups such as the NAACP and Student African American Society have led many discussions and rallies the campus’ most pertinent issues, but now, it is refreshing and exciting to see more student organizations such as Pride Union involved in strategic planning. This shows that students have begun to take it upon themselves to ensure that all voices and viewpoints are represented.
Although the planning leading up to “Express Yourself” had some students concerned about the transparency of administration and willingness to include the input of student leaders, the event turned out to be a successful discussion. But the university cannot be content with just that one moment, since a large portion of the campus that should be aware of the issues at hand were not there. If the SU community wants to change its climate for years to come, it must be steadfast in ensuring that they add new members to the choir.

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].