Editorial Board

Posse program changes were warranted

The cuts Syracuse University recently made to the Posse program were reasonable considering that fact, but the university made the right decision in revisiting the changes they made after a student protest.

The national program provides full tuition college scholarships to high school students. Currently, SU is one of three schools in the country that supports three Posse programs. But earlier this month, SU announced it would only provide scholarships to future Posse scholars from Miami, and stop programs in Atlanta and Los Angeles.

This was met with a student led protest on Sept. 19. Following the protest, the university announced it would revise the changes made to the Posse program and announced the revisions on Monday.

According to a university official, money saved by cutting from the Posse program would be put toward other forms of financial aid, including merit and need-based financial aid. Re-evaluating where its money is allocated was the right decision for the university to make, especially because the money saved will still benefit students in need.

One of the university’s reasons for not choosing to reinstate the Los Angeles Posse was due to the significant resources SU already has in Los Angeles. It was smart for the university to re-evaluate its involvement in the Posse program to avoid overlapping resources, and instead choosing to focus on an area where the university’s presence is lacking.

The university had no obligation to reconsider these changes, but SU made the right move in listening to student voices and reconsidering its decision. It exhibits a growth in communication between students and the administration. This growth could continue if the university ensures it will consider student feedback even when it is not in the form of a protest.

The Posse program is valuable for SU, but the cuts the university made were warranted. Moving forward, SU should continue to make cuts where necessary, but it should value and respond to all instances of student input.