college of law

Non-College of Law students now require passes to enter Dineen Hall

The Syracuse University Department of Public Safety has implemented additional security measures for Dineen Hall following its opening in September.

Dineen Hall, the new home of SU College of Law students, put specific security measures in place last week for those who aren’t law students or faculty. Non-law students or faculty must be granted a pass in order to enter the building as an increased security measure.

The changes in security were brought about because people from Dineen Hall approached DPS about increasing security, said DPS Associate Chief John Sardino. Sardino said that he has received positive feedback from the students and faculty on the security measures.

“As with the other fixed posts, the building occupants approached DPS and we’ve collaborated to meet their specific needs,” Sardino said. “There are DPS Community Service Officers that work inside at a fixed post at several university buildings. Their assignments and responsibilities vary to meet the needs of the building occupants.”

The regular hours for the building are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for students with their SU law school ID. The building is strictly for law students, but non-SU affiliates or law students can enter with a pass that they can get from the front desk after presenting a picture ID.

“I think these security measures are necessary because everything is brand new in this building and with everything happening around campus, I feel like this is important,” said Alyssa Eighmey, a DPS community service officer at the building’s front desk.

The security policy has been in effect since Oct. 8, Eighmey said. Before then people were able to come in and check out the building and then leave, but now the security policy is in full effect, she said.

“They were still trying to figure out the nooks and crannies of the building,” Eighmey said.

Erin Bauwens, a first year law student, said taking extra precautions with the security policy are worth it after past experiences.

“The security is important because everything in here is new,” she said. “I went here for undergrad and I know last year there were a lot of people in Bird Library having their laptops stolen and too many random people that didn’t go to SU were walking around. There were also homeless people sleeping in there.”

Earlier in the semester, DPS announced that it would be taking away security from Brewster, Boland and Brockway Residence Halls during the day. But the residence hall has other security measures in place, he said. 

“The major resident halls have staff assigned to the main desk when Residential Security Aides are not working,” Sardino said. “Other upgrades in physical security measures had been completed the previous year including an extensive CCTV system.”