Student Association

Members work with SU to start bus stop heat lamp pilot program

Starting next semester, Syracuse University will start a pilot program to put heat lamps at two campus bus stops.

Members of Student Association met with SU administrators and the Department of Energy Systems and Sustainability Management on Friday to discuss details of the lamps and whether or not they will be implemented, said Aysha Seedat, director of student life for SA.

However, SA must meet with the Department of Public Safety, Risk Management and Environment Health and Safety Services before the heat lamps can be put in place. SA will monitor the effectiveness of the heat lamps and get feedback through surveys in order to determine whether or not to expand their use, Seedat said.

The organization wants to ultimately install heat lamps in bus stops across campus that would “keep our students warm and frostbite free,” she said.

“Heat lamps seem to be a much-needed and economically feasible addition to our transportation system,” Seedat said.

Seedat added that the original plan involved having heat lamps at College Place as well as all South Campus stops. Heat lamps, like the ones SA is trying to implement, look very similar to regular overhead fluorescent lights, but as indicated by their name, radiate heat as well. The lamps have been used in other areas, including Chicago and parts of Ohio as well as hospital entrances across the region, according to research done by SA.

“Since this has been proven to work well in these environments, the Student Life Committee thought it would work well here,” Seedat said.

Despite this, SA has contacted other colleges and universities with similar climates and found that none have a system such as the one they are proposing, she said. The Student Life Committee believes that the lamps would be both a success and an inspiration for other schools to adopt similar measures, Seedat added.

Many students voiced their support for the idea, especially given that winter is right around the corner. Michaela Sapienza, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she thought putting heat lamps in all the bus stops would be smart given the climate.

“I think it’s a good idea because the winter up here is super cold. If we’re going to wait for the bus, I might as well be warm,” said Ines Lopez, a freshman elementary and secondary education major.

Rachel Ghui, a freshman advertising major, said while the idea has its positives, there are drawbacks to consider that would come with implementing the heat lamps.

“You would have to monitor when it’s on because otherwise it could potentially be extremely energy inefficient,” she said. “Also the fact that it’s not in an enclosed area means there would be a lot of heat loss as well. I don’t think it’s a good idea to just get a heat lamp and put it in a bus stop.”