SU Abroad

Members of Hong Kong program respond to recent protests in region

Despite student-led protests in Hong Kong pushing for democracy, the Syracuse University study abroad program in Hong Kong has not been affected.

Over the past few weeks, protesters in Hong Kong have been demanding a free vote in the election of Hong Kong’s new leader in 2017. Hong Kong is one of eight center-based programs that SU Abroad offers.

Jennifer Horvath, the manager of marketing and communications for SU Abroad, said the protests never came close to where the SU students lived. There are about 45 SU students in Hong Kong now and there has been only one call from a concerned parent, she said.

Horvath added that the SU Abroad office is posting on their Facebook page about the protests and proactively communicating with everyone about the issue, parents included.

Jacob Reynolds, a junior broadcast and digital journalism major currently studying abroad in Hong Kong, said in an email that none of his classes have been canceled nor has his schedule changed due to protests.

“We have received a few emails from the program director here to stay away from protest areas but otherwise life has continued as usual,” he said.

James Sung, a professor who teaches at the SU Abroad center in Hong Kong, said the cause of the protests is democracy.

“There is a clash between the central and local government because the people want quick democracy, especially the younger generation,” Sung said. “The top leader in Hong Kong believes this should be handled carefully and be considered cautiously by the central government because if they move too fast it will have a negative effect over China.”

The police have used tear gas against the student-led protests, which had not been done since 2005, Sung said. Hong Kong has been peaceful and stable since 2005, until now, he said. The protests were supposed to last about two to three weeks, but the students are more radical than what Hong Kong expected, Sung added.

Sung said the protesters do not seem to understand that the Hong Kong government is local and they do not have the power to make a decision for the whole political system, they need permission from central authority. Eventually, there will be democracy in Hong Kong but it cannot happen overnight, he said.

Reynolds said that SU students abroad aren’t being bombarded or dragged into the protests. Reynolds added that he was in Mong Kok recently, and could see the protest area.

“If anything I was somewhat surprised by the lack of activity. We could not see that clearly since our professor didn’t want us too close, but it was not as active as I was expecting,” he said.

Reynolds said he understands the purpose of the protests, but said they may be having an inverse effect.

“As far as feelings are concerned, I understand the Hong Kong people’s desire for democracy and ability to participate fully in deciding their government leaders, but I fear the recent protests have only pushed the government and people farther apart. Not to mention, the protesters do not have universal support in Hong Kong,” he said.

Reynolds said that despite the protests, it’s still a good time to be in Hong Kong.

Said Reynolds: “It is a fascinating time to be in Hong Kong. As several of our professors have said, we are witnessing history. We are also witnessing the fight for Hong Kong’s future.”