From the Kitchen

Cozy restaurant offers organic, healthy dishes

Too often, healthy food gets a bad rep. It may seem bland, ingredients appear to be foreign and it may not even fill you up.

At Sparky Town, those misconceptions are put to rest. Natural ingredients and tasty meals, along with artwork and live music, highlight a restaurant that may soon become your regular fixture in Syracuse.

Sitting on the corner of Burnet Avenue, a quick drive from campus and just past Erie Boulevard, Sparky Town offers comfort food in an amazing creative space.

Sparky Town Restaurant is written in a swirling font on a sign hanging out front, posted on the front door and showcased in the windows. A sense of pride is felt immediately, given that the restaurant’s namesake comes from the owner, Linda “Sparky” Mortimer. The typeface reflects the fun, energetic and welcoming atmosphere Mortimer has created inside.

Local artwork hangs prominently on the walls, illuminated brightly with floodlights. A yellow and red color palette, exposed brick walls and high tables and chairs give the inside a cozy, coffee-shop feel. On Fridays and Saturdays, live music takes over the dining room. It’s clear why this place is so popular. And once the food comes out, Sparky Town really hits the spot.

The menu is a diverse mix of vegan, vegetarian, organic and meat dishes that resonates with your taste buds. Local beers, coffee and vegetables demonstrate the restaurant’s desire to support the community. For dinner, I decided to order the Hippy Harvest Soup, a plate of chips and salsa, the Swiss mushroom burger and a chicken quesadilla.

The Hippy Harvest Soup was the soup special of the day. The soup had a tasty chicken broth with soft root vegetables and cabbage as the main stars of the dish. It was a warm, satisfying start to the meal, although a bit more salt and seasoning would have really made the soup much more flavorful.

The plate of chips and salsa featured blue corn chips and a vegan homemade salsa. The salsa had prominent notes of cucumber, with tomatoes and onions adding some substance. The salsa was a bit on the watery side but had an amazing and refreshing taste that reminded me of summer. It was fresh, clean and light for a salsa but worked well with the saltiness of the chips.

The main courses themselves also proved to be filling and satisfying. The chicken quesadilla was filled to the brim with cheese and chicken and was served with beans, rice, guacamole and salsa. The chicken was tender and juicy, cut into small chunks so that every bite of the quesadilla had a little bit in it. The guacamole, like everything else on the plate, was fresh and homemade. It had a good amount of acid and seasoning in it, which cut through the fat of the avocado. There isn’t much to complain about in this dish because all the components were solid, tasty and well-seasoned.

The Swiss mushroom burger was the same way. The beef patty was smothered in Swiss cheese and had crisp lettuce, tomatoes and onions. Whole mushrooms were sauteed and caramelized and placed on the cheese. The texture and size of the mushrooms were great because they didn’t get lost underneath the other toppings and had their own flavor.

The patty had a good amount of fat content, so it was juicy and had a nice flavor as well. The only complaint I would have is that the burger wasn’t cooked as medium rare as I had ordered. The side of home fries also seemed like an afterthought, with some burnt on the bottom while others were a bit soggy. But overall, it was a great choice for a meal.

If you ever find yourself wanting some home cooking, a quiet place to have lunch or even a warm smile from the restaurant staff, Sparky Town is definitely a place to visit. It will leave a lasting impression and make you want to come back for more.