Editorial Board

Bandersnatch Concert Series needs to feature more alternative music

For future Bandersnatch concerts, University Union needs to feature indie music that is not exclusively EDM.

The Bandersnatch Concert Series features indie concerts that take place in the Schine Underground at the Schine Student Center. The purpose of the series is to introduce up-and-coming indie artists to students. Previous artists include Chance the Rapper, St. Lucia and Hudson Mohawke. The first two headlining acts UU announced for the 2014 Bandersnatch Concert Series were Trippy Turtle, which performed Tuesday night, and Cash Cash, which will perform on Nov. 12. Both are EDM groups.

Indie music is more than EDM. A concert intended to showcase alternative styles of music should diversify the artists it brings in, especially given that Syracuse University students have had recent opportunities to attend EDM shows.

For Block Party, UU brought in EDM artist Zedd. Juice Jam featured EDM artist Dillon Francis. And Cash Cash already performed in Syracuse two months ago at the Great New York State Fair. EDM music is popular, and it would have been fine to have one EDM artist perform at Bandersnatch. But having an EDM artist that was mainstream enough to perform at the Great New York State Fair — and that some students may have already seen — seems contradictory to the goal of the Bandersnatch concert series.

When considering what artists to hire for future acts, UU should try to broaden the music it features beyond rappers and EDM artists it has brought in the past year. Even though those two styles of music are popular right now, UU should provide concerts that feature less mainstream music.

The organization has succeeded in bringing diverse indie artists to Juice Jam beyond EDM music. And in recent years, it has presented a strong lineup for the Bandersnatch Concert Series. UU should consider the students that want to experience alternative music and also consider that different artists and styles that make up the indie genre. Moving forward, the organization should extend the same effort to find indie artists beyond EDM acts.