NCAA Investigation

ACC will send representative to Syracuse’s NCAA hearing, Swofford confirms

Courtesy of Sara D. Davis

John Swofford confirmed that the ACC will send a representative to Syracuse's NCAA hearing during his press conference at media day on Wednesday.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Atlantic Coast Conference will send a representative to Syracuse’s NCAA hearing this week, ACC commissioner John Swofford confirmed at media day in Charlotte, North Carolina on Wednesday.

Syracuse officials are scheduled to appear at a hearing Thursday and Friday and SU head coach Jim Boeheim, Chancellor Kent Syverud and Director of Athletics Daryl Gross have been invited, among others, according to The Post-Standard.

Swofford gave an opening statement before he was peppered with questions about the recent news out of North Carolina and Syracuse and briefly addressed the Syracuse situation.

“The NCAA has asked us not to talk about ongoing investigations,” Swofford said. “Anytime one of our schools has a compliance issue, it’s a concern.”

Swofford doesn’t believe that the recent reports on the Orange and Tar Heels are greatly cutting into the conference’s reputation, which he worked to establish in his opening statement, which lasted 20-plus minutes.

Before being asked about North Carolina and Syracuse, Swofford rattled off ACC basketball statistics to back his point of calling the conference the best collection of programs in college basketball history. After listing off first-place finishes in attendance, TV ratings, all-time NCAA tournament wins and so on, Swofford was quick to identify an area that the conference doesn’t want to attract national attention in.

Said Swofford: “We want to have the least number of compliance issues.”