Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Susan Pasco

Josh Chang | Staff Photographer

Susan Pasco has 25 years of experience in counseling. As part of the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team, she finds inspiration in empowering others.

In times of crisis, Susan Pasco stays rooted in the present moment.

As a therapist and director of the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team, Pasco said this practice helps her be open and available when counseling students through periods of trauma.

“You have to stay calm and stay focused on what’s going on in the present,” she said.

Pasco has been practicing these techniques for 25 years, initially in the Syracuse University Rape Advocacy, Prevention and Education Center and then as the associate director of the counseling center on campus. Just this year, Pasco said that the university asked her to lead the new team in tackling issues related to sexual assault.

“I felt an obligation to accept,” said Pasco. “(And) felt it was important to have a specialized and diverse team of individuals who had the expertise.”

Pasco said the newly formed team is diverse not only in gender but in terms of race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. This helps the team provide therapy for all sectors of the community, particularly ones facing greater marginalization.

But after the controversy surrounding the closing of the Advocacy Center, Pasco said there is greater confusion in the community regarding these services than ever.

“I’ve witnessed and sympathize with the pain and loss that many of our campus members have experienced during these recent changes,” Pasco said.

Pasco said in response, she is working to provide services including both emotional support as well as advocacy.

“We’re always doing advocacy work as therapists,” Pasco said. “Because advocacy can also mean empowering people to make changes in their lives.”

And it’s empowerment that inspires Pasco on a daily basis, reaffirming her commitment to serve the SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry communities.

As the campus community adjusts to the changes regarding the shift in service from the Advocacy Center to the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team, Pasco said she needs to call upon this inspiration to carry her team toward success.

“I’m hopeful that despite the recent controversy that we will come out of this with a stronger and broader coalition,” Pasco said.