With H-back Broyld out, Syracuse receivers will be tested against Notre Dame’s man-to-man coverage

/ The Daily Orange

Brisly Estime will likely see an increased role at H-back in Ashton Broyld's absence. SU plans to cycle through its wide receivers and give them all opportunities against Notre Dame in the absence of Ashton Broyld.

Every three plays in practice, Syracuse subs in a new set of wide receivers.

Six to eight of them form the core of a position group that’s without a clear target and star. It’s too early in the season, the players’ development or both for one to be established. Instead, the Orange (2-1) brings a set of matured and interchangeable receivers into its matchup with No. 8 Notre Dame (3-0) at MetLife Stadium at 8 p.m. in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Saturday.

The Fighting Irish’s man-to-man coverage is likely to give SU receivers their most direct test of the season so far as they shuffle with the loss of Ashton Broyld, the team’s second-leading receiver.

“I wouldn’t say there’s a clear target now, just because the offense is so spread out,” senior wide receiver Adrian Flemming said. “… I think that’s better for the team.”

It’s a more long-term change from Syracuse’s previous receiving corps. In 2012, Marcus Sales and Alec Lemon were the Orange’s top targets and most opponents knew it.

Sales and Lemon accounted for 52 percent of SU’s receiving yards, 46.1 percent of receptions and 57.7 percent of receiving touchdowns. Broyld and Jarrod West were SU’s top targets last season, combining for 36 percent of Syracuse’s receiving yards, 32.2 percent of receptions and 7.6 percent of receiving touchdowns.

The transition to a hurry-up spread offense has produced the need for a deep group, Flemming said, but players have also forced their way and grown into roles on and off the field. Younger receivers used to miss classes and tutoring sessions, prompting coaches to call them out for 6 a.m. workouts as punishment.

“So if guys aren’t getting called for that, they’re obviously doing the right thing,” Flemming said.

Senior receiver Jarrod West said freshman Steve Ishmael frequently comes to him seeking pointers. Breakdowns of opposing safeties’ roles and cornerbacks’ techniques follow.

For a lot of defenses, man-to-man is the fifth- or sixth-most frequently used coverage, SU quarterbacks coach Tim Lester said, but it’s Notre Dame’s third. That’s what teams with great athletes do, he said.

The SU receiver group that’s predominantly played against zones this season now faces a more personal test without Broyld.

“You always want to beat the man over you,” Flemming said. “So if somebody’s playing man on me, obviously I’m going to want to beat him, no matter if it’s going down the field running by route or blocking for one of my team, for one of my running backs. I’m always going to want to win that whole fight.”

Brisly Estime will start in place of Broyld at H-back and Ben Lewis will sub in for him. Lewis played the position against Maryland when Estime needed a break and moved inside the set on Syracuse’s no-tight end, “10 personnel” formations.

During the practice week, all of the Orange’s core receivers take reps with Terrel Hunt and the first-string offense, Lewis said. They’re mostly just refining their routes, everyone’s getting starting reps and it doesn’t matter so much who goes out first, he added.

Those same receivers cheered each other on against SU defensive backs in offseason conditioning games of ultimate frisbee. On Saturday, they’ll be swapping out every four or five plays, then cheering each other on again against the Fighting Irish.

“It keeps everyone fresh, everyone playing,” Lewis said. “No one’s worried about being out there too long, getting tired. That’s usually when interceptions and missed plays will happen. So usually everyone’s out there fresh.”