From the Runway

Who, what, wear: New York Fashion Week previews trends for 2015 Spring, Summer seasons

Fashion designers debut their collections one season ahead so buyers can predict trends and plan what to get for their respective stores in the coming months. During last week’s New York Fashion Week, designers such as Nicholas K, Luis Antonio and August Getty revealed their lines for the Spring/Summer ’15 season.

091714_P_FromtheRunway2_Courtesy

August Getty:

The collection and its inspiration

August Getty’s premier collection focused on concepts of female dominance and strength. His ideas were translated into edgy, asymmetrical garments in light pastel colors.

Getty accentuated the best parts of a woman’s body by drawing inspiration from femme fatale and his sister Natalia. Pieces included structured jumpsuits with cutouts, tight metallic dresses, lacey cupcake dresses, ruffled capes and one-shoulder mini dresses. The color palette was limited, concentrating on black, white, baby pink, silver and lilac. Getty played with the construction of the power suit, varying length, type and pigment.

What this means for stores and trends

Getty’s capsule collection points to sharp, sexy shapes in the spring. Clothing will be constructed carefully with artistic flare. Colorblocking will continue to see its way into stores. Boyfriend blazers with heavier shoulder pads may re-emerge. Capes, though usually showcased in the colder months, will likely appear in lighter fabrics and colors.

091714_P_FromtheRunway_Courtesy

Luis Antonio:

The collection and its inspiration

Puerto Rican designer Luis Antonio paid close attention to flattering fits in his Spring/Summer ’15 collection. Often pairing tight bodices with full skirts, Antonio recreated his own version of Dior’s classic “New Look.”

Soft, feminine silhouettes were starkly contrasted with vibrant colors and architectural patterns. The collection was centered on practical elegance, giving women the option to dress up without sacrificing comfort. The designer’s color palette included true red, navy blue and cream beige. Antonio’s garments had high necklines and interesting back detail.

What this means for stores and trends

In Spring/Summer ’15, the cropped shirt and long skirt combination that emerged this past season as an alternative to dresses will remain a wardrobe staple. However, the two-piece set will get a minor revamp. Antonio’s collection suggests that the current formfitting pencil or midi skirt will be replaced with a free-flowing maxi skirt.

The designer’s collection also suggests modern, graphic patterns will make a comeback next spring. The bold lip, a beauty favorite, will remain.

091714_P_FromtheRunway3_Courtesy

Nicholas K:

The collection and its inspiration

Brother and sister design team Nicholas and Christopher Kunz went on an adventure to a wild safari in their Spring/Summer ’15 collection. The garments — exposed, yet polished — included khaki chinos, utility jackets, slouchy cargo pants, loosely draped tops, high-waist jumpsuits and long, silk headscarves. The clothes were complemented with horsehair accessories, Casio G-shock watches and futuristic goggles. Most pieces did not reach above knee length, besides a little black dress decorated in Pilot pens and a few other garments.

The Kunzes executed their designs flawlessly, carrying their vision through the entire collection. Ideas of feminine power, exploration and survival were woven into the clothing effortlessly.

What this means for stores and trends

Spring/Summer ’15 will see natural materials, such as leather, light cotton, linen, cashmere and silk. Clothing will be loosely fitted, but shape-conscious. Side-tie skirts may return, while headscarves, headpieces and hoods seem to be definite upcoming trends.

Neutral, earthy tones such as olive, charcoal, crisp white, camel and aqua will be seen on the racks. Fringe is likely to appear next spring, but mainly in the forms of cotton and wool, as opposed to the more popular choice of leather. Harem pants of this season will switch to scrunched, silk cargo pants with lots of pockets in the next couple of seasons.