Juice Jam 2014

Workers prepare Skytop Field for Juice Jam 2014

On Sunday, Syracuse University students will flood onto Skytop field to witness one of the school’s largest entertainment events of the year: the 10th annual Juice Jam music festival.

The event’s 10,000 tickets sold out over 11 days, making it the fastest that Juice Jam has ever sold out in the event’s history, according to a University Union press release. Juice Jam 2014 will feature Dillon Francis, ScHoolboy Q, Ace Hood, Tinashe, 3LAU, Broods and MisterWives.

Events of such magnitude require significant advance planning. As a result, University Union has been planning the set-up of the venue — from security and logistics to clean-up and tear-down — for a long time.

“Honestly, most of the logistical preparations have been in place for months,” said Jeremy Martin, UU Vice President. “Right now, most of the ongoing work for the event involves the stages being constructed.”

Last year’s Juice Jam expanded the annual event from a single stage concert format to a multiple-stage, festival-style event with several artists playing sets throughout the day.

University Union is also coordinating with the SU Facilities and Maintenance Department to get everything ready for Sunday.

University Union is also coordinating with the SU Facilities and Maintenance Department to get everything ready for Sunday. Rich Stach, SU manager of grounds, said in an email that his staff sets up the snow fences, which separate the crowd from the performers, cleans up during and after the event and installs a generator on site. They also set up trash containers from Colvin Street up Skytop Road and inside the event area.

Maintenance workers will also be cleaning the trash out of the area affected by the event, a task Stach expects to be substantial.

Event security is also a concern that the University Union is accounting for.

“We’re also working to coordinate with DPS and assorted security personnel to ensure that this Juice Jam goes smoothly,” Martin said.

Backpacks, cameras and containers, as well as drugs, alcohol and firearms, are prohibited inside event grounds.The event will open at 11:45 a.m. on Sunday. Buses will be regularly scheduled from Schine Student Center, College Place and Manley Field House to Skytop Field.