Culture

Underground Poetry Spot celebrates fifth anniversary with spoken word concert

The mission of the Underground Poetry Spot can be summarized in one word: healing.

“We give the community a safe and comfortable environment to express what they are feeling,” said Seneca Wilson, founder of the Underground Poetry Spot. “(Underground Poetry Spot) is a place where students can go on a consistent basis to express themselves.”

The Underground Poetry Spot, a central hub for slam poetry and spoken word poets in the Syracuse community, will celebrate its fifth anniversary by performing a spoken word concert at the Syracuse Stage on Friday at 8 p.m.

Wilson, who is also the assistant director of operations at the Department of Recreation Services at Syracuse University, described the importance of the diversity of the underground poets to the local area.

“We have traveled across region and state, and we come from all over,” Wilson said. “We are a representation of the City of Syracuse. We take pride in that.”

Ruthnie Angrand, a part-time graduate student in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, expressed a similar sentiment.

“Seneca, our founder, always keeps in mind that he wants to give the university, community (and) city something to be proud of,” Angrand said in an email.

According to the organization’s website, its mission “is to provide a performance venue that promotes, enhances and develops artists in their literary works to motivate, educate, inspire and uplift Syracuse and the surrounding area.”

Many members of the Underground Poetry Spot appreciated having a space to mentor and be mentored in the community. Angrand, in particular, said the underground poets are performers, teachers and family.

She added that the City of Syracuse lacked family atmosphere and needed a place where people can share their disappointments and hopes.

“Syracuse lost a lot on the past 50 years,” Angrand said. “I won’t get into the finger pointing of why and whose fault it is, but I will say that when people lose, there has to be someone to say, ‘I believe you are better than what you lack.’”

With preparations gearing up for Friday’s big anniversary show, Wilson wants to show the audience how far the Underground Poetry Spot has come in the last five years.

“We have done so much for this community. I don’t believe we have turned down any group,” Wilson said. “We’d like to show people what we are doing so we can go another five years.”

Ricky “Randum” Maeweather, a three-year veteran of the Underground Poetry Spot, recognized the affect that he can have on each new audience member with his poetry.

He also urged people to go to shows or try open mic nights to step outside of their comfort zone.

“I want people to get out of the cliché mindset that all you can do on a Friday night is go to the movies, the mall, parties,” said Maeweather, who works as transportation assistant for the Syracuse City School District. “Think random, think outside the box.”

Looking forward, the Underground Poetry Spot would like to gain more members and a chance to do shows in places outside of Syracuse, connecting with a national and international community.

“Our goal now is to be strategic and international about transitioning to coach full-time youth, and manage our performers full time,” Angrand said.

Wilson, the founder of Underground Poetry Spot, added that the group’s biggest challenge is finding venues to perform. In the future, he said the performers would like a place to call their own, a home for the family of artists.

The members of the Underground Poetry Spot want to give back to the community in the way the community has given to them, through open mic nights, frequent shows and free workshops.

“If you like what we are doing, support. We will accept and appreciate everything,” Wilson said. “We are in the business of healing and saving lives.”