Volleyball

Syracuse volleyball opens ACC play with pair of road losses

Syracuse opened Atlantic Coast Conference play with losses to North Carolina State (12-1, 1-0 ACC) and #12 North Carolina (10-2, 1-1) this weekend. The Orange (7-7, 0-2) fell in straight sets in both road matches.

Sunday afternoon against North Carolina, SU opened the match strong, taking a 16-13 lead in the first set. Three attack errors later, the game was tied and the Tar Heels barely looked back, winning the set 25-20. The second set was tight as well, and despite a late comeback attempt from SU, it ended in the same score.

In the third, SU kept pace with the Tar Heels at first, fighting to an 11-10 deficit. At this point, UNC took over, winning five straight points and eventually the set, 25-18.

Syracuse outside hitter Silvi Uattara and middle blocker Monika Salkute continued their strong play; each recording ten kills, leading the Orange for the second straight match. Against NC State Friday, the juniors each tallied eight kills.

In the match against the Wolfpack, SU again kept it close until a 9-0 run gave N.C. State a 25-11 first-set victory. The final two sets were close throughout, as the Orange pulled within two late in the second and within three late in the third before N.C. State was able to close it out, winning 25-19 and 25-21.

The Orange’s next matchup will be at Notre Dame Friday night at 7 p.m.