Editorial Board

Syracuse University must express opinion on I-81 highway debate

As of now, Syracuse University has yet to take a stance on the Interstate 81 debate. Given the university’s prominence in the city of Syracuse, a lack of opinion is irresponsible. SU should decide which side in the I-81 debate aligns with its best interest, and then make its opinion known to the public. 

The city is divided when it comes to the topic of the I-81 highway. Some advocate it should remain in Syracuse as is, while others are fighting to have it reconstructed into a street-level highway.  I-81 needs to be replaced due to aging, but its controversial presence has created a gridlock among those discussing its construction plans. 

In June, the New York State Department of Transportation opened the 1-81 debate up to public comments after narrowing the reconstruction options down to six. The options were variations on two ideas: replacing I-81 with a street-level highway or rebuilding it. 

Institutions within the city of Syracuse have voiced their opinions on the matter, but SU has remained quiet. The university’s most notable involvement so far was the I-81 workgroup appointed by Chancellor Kent Syverud, which released its final report in July. The workgroup outlined the need for improved pedestrian and vehicular traffic, no matter what option is chosen.

Syracuse University employs the second highest amount of people in Onondaga County behind Upstate University Health System. Though Syverud is shifting the focus away from the city and back toward the university — a contrast from former Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s vision — this is a city issue that requires the university’s attention in order to move forward. While SU should not advocate for one side, it should state which decision would be in its best interest. 

If  SU stays quiet now, it will have no grounds for complaints after the highway’s reconstruction. By speaking up, the university can prevent any potential problems before it is too late.

I-81 physically separates SU from the Syracuse community. But SU should not separate itself from discussion involving the Syracuse community. Although the university is a separate entity not responsible for city decisions, the reconstruction of the highway will affect SU as much as it does the city. The university should publicize its opinions now before the fate of I-81 is set in stone.