Syracuse secondary shuts down Central Michigan offense

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Syracuse cornerback Brandon Reddish attempts to wrap up a Central Michigan ball carrier as the SU sideline looks on during its 40-3 win.

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. On the rare occasions that Central Michigan quarterback Cooper Rush had time to pass, there was no one to pass to.

Julian Whigham, Brandon Reddish and the rest of Syracuse secondarys blanketing coverage forced CMU into a short game of slants and simple outlet passes. The Orange pushed up its corners and denied those passes too as SU (2-0) shut down Central Michigan (2-1) 40-3 Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. SU reduced the Chippewas offense to averaging just 5.4 yards per reception with a 53 percent completion rate.

Im extremely pleased with the defense,SU defensive line coach Tim Daoust said. Its not the front four. Its all of them. We play with those safeties in the box, tight and our linebackers downhill.

Whigham said SU knew going into the game that Central Michigan couldnt do much in the air against man coverage, allowing the Orange to press up as it prefers to. CMU was also missing Titus Davis, its first-team All-Mid American Conference wide receiver due to a knee sprain.

The secondary essentially had one job stop the short balls it could see coming.

It simplifies itself,Whigham said. When theyre trying to do the same thing over and over again, you start to figure that out. Unfortunately we didnt get any picks off of it, but it was coming.

With the deep ball all but out of the question, the temptation of Syracuse defensive backs to undercut routes for interceptions was the greatest threat CMUs air game posed.

On a third-and-long, Whigham said he thought CMU would try a deep out route to the outside and figured hed bait the pass, then cut in for an interception. Instead, Central Michigan ran a post route over the middle. But Whigham adjusted and closed off whatever window Rush might have had.

Said Whigham: We just had a field day, really.