Women's soccer

Syracuse relents early goal, fails to respond in loss to Colgate

Three and a half minutes passed and Colgate already had the lead for good. The Raiders’ Emily Crichlow received a throw-in from Eliza Doll and took a one-touch left-footed shot from 20 yards out.

The ball deflected into Syracuse’s net after hitting the crossbar in the top left corner, accounting for the game’s only goal.

Colgate (4-1-1) defeated Syracuse (3-2-2) 1-0 on a slick Thursday night at Beyer-Small ’76 Field in Hamilton, New York to end SU’s four-game unbeaten streak. After allowing a goal in the first four minutes, the Orange never scored the equalizer even though goalie Mackenzie Moranz made four saves to keep Syracuse close.

“Obviously you end up chasing the game at that point, but again we were to blame for not getting pressure on the ball,” SU head coach Phil Wheddon said.

As the game remained close throughout, it became progressively more physical. In the final 23 minutes, four total yellow cards were given, including one each to Syracuse’s Jackie Firenze and Alex Lamontagne. When the emotion of the game rises, Wheddon said, the Orange must be more composed to convert on its scoring chances.

Through seven games so far, SU has struggled to play a strong complete game from start to finish.

“It seems like at the moment we shoot ourselves in the foot at times and then we play some brilliant soccer at times,” Wheddon said.

In the second half, Syracuse outshot Colgate 10-1, but couldn’t crack through with a goal. Syracuse outshot Colgate 15-7 for the game.

Wheddon said he views the nonconference schedule as a chance to improve and work out the kinks before Atlantic Coast Conference games begin. Earlier this week, he said he hopes the team peaks in mid-October.

With just one nonconference game left — Syracuse faces Drexel at 1 p.m. on Sunday — before ACC matches begin, the Orange is still working to find its identity as a team.

“We know that our players are very disappointed with the loss and now we need to raise our competitive level as a team, within the team,” Wheddon said. “Competing for spots, competing for time and making sure everyone plays on their competitive edge.”