Letter to the Editor

Student recalls friendship with Harel Rush

Harel Rush was more than just a familiar face. He was a friend and an inspiration. I can remember vividly sitting at many Shabbat lunch tables at the Chabad House and him telling stories of his time in Israel. At the time I can remember being slightly embarrassed because it seemed everyone else had been to Israel except me. It was because of this that I decided to go on Birthright immediately after school ended. While on the trip I kept thinking of all the things Harel said about Israel and they were all accurate. He has told me that one of his favorite spots in Israel was Tzfat in the North and while there I realized what and amazing place it is and how right he was.

To me it seemed odd that someone would come to school for a year and then join a foreign military. However for Harel it was just an extension of his commitment to the State of Israel and his Judaism. In fact it was because of Harel and the many conversations we had at Friday Night Shabbat Dinners and other events at Chabad House, among many other reasons, that I myself decided to become more religious. I figured if Harel could be a religious Jew on campus then so could I.

I think Harel’s grandfather had a great impact on him in making the decision to enlist. Among other stories I can remember Harel regaling me with tales of his grandfather’s time serving in the army in Israel around the time the state was being formed, fighting during the War of Independence.

Whenever I heard of fighting in Gaza my first thoughts were always about Harel. I would constantly check Facebook and news to make sure Harel and the others fighting were safe. I think Harel is doing a great deed in serving in the Army. I know it runs in his family, but he was not required to do so and to make the voluntarily effort just shows how much Harel cares for the Jews in Israel and around the world. I wish him nothing but luck and good tidings. On Shabbat Morning services at Chabad House, when we pray for the safety of the armed forces of the U.S. and Israel, Harel is always on the forefront of our thoughts and prayers.

Zachary Ashare
Junior English Textual Studies Major
Vice President of Chabad House at Syracuse University