Shafer: Syracuse open to using running backs to fill Broyld’s role

In addition to the by-committee approach Syracuse is taking with its wide receivers in Ashton Broyld’s absence, the Orange is open to using its running backs, head coach Scott Shafer said on the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches’ teleconference Wednesday.

“I think everybody’s on board, from the receiving crew and the running back crew, anybody who gives us a chance to do those things is always equally accessible. So that’s how we’re looking at it,” Shafer said, when asked if SU (2-1) is considering using tailbacks like senior Prince-Tyson Gulley and freshman Ervin Philips in the slot.

Broyld, the Orange’s top H-back on the depth chart and leader in receptions through three games, is out for the foreseeable future with an injury to his right leg, suffered during SU’s home loss to Maryland on Saturday. How Syracuse accounts for his touches won’t be apparent until the Orange faces No. 8 Notre Dame (3-0) at MetLife Stadium at 8 p.m. on Saturday, but Shafer has dropped hints throughout the week.

To this point in the season, Gulley is the only Syracuse running back with more than one catch and has 41 yards on seven receptions. Philips, who has also contributed in the kickoff return game, had a 1-yard catch against Central Michigan and junior Devante McFarlane had in a 9-yard reception in the same game.

Still, Shafer didn’t rule out the possibility of adding the halfbacks to the mix in the slot while Syracuse tests out different formations with various wide receivers.

Said Shafer: “I think there’s a number of things not just Erv, but other guys can do in those positions.”