Shafer on Robinson, Palmer: ‘Both have green light to play’

After watching Nick Robinson and Omari Palmer practice throughout the week, Syracuse (1-0) head coach Scott Shafer confirmed Thursday that both are active for Saturdays noon kickoff at Central Michigan (2-0).

They both have the green light to play,Shafer said at his Thursday morning press conference, and were looking forward to having those two in the rotation at guard.

When asked what that rotation may look like, Shafer didnt provide any more details. Both Robinson and Palmer missed Syracuses season-opening win over Villanova, Robinson recovering from a foot injury and Palmer nursing a banged up knee. Rob Trudo started at left guard in that game and Michael Lasker who is listed as a second-string tackle on Syracuses depth chart   slid in to play right guard.

Shafer said on Tuesday that if Robinson and Palmer were healthy he and the coaches would see who gives us the best chance to be competitive for Saturday as we get through the week of practice.Offensive coordinator George McDonald and offensive line coach Joe Adam reiterated a trial and error of sorts on Tuesday night both saying that there are a lot of potential combinations SU could go with.

With all options healthy enough to play, the on-field search for a starting front starts in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.