Race

Rollison garnering NFL scouts’ attention at Texas A&M-Commerce, 4th school in 6 years

Tyrik Rollison has attended four schools in the past six years.

In that time, he’s dealt with the flu, a broken wrist, a broken ankle and faced a one-game suspension due to academics. He’s also had four daughters, who he has looked to for motivation throughout the last two years of his tumultuous college career.

“I know Ty’s dream when he came through high school wasn’t to be the starting quarterback at Texas A&M-Commerce,” Texas A&M-Commerce head coach Colby Carthel said.

But Rollison is now a 23-year old starter for the Lions (2-1, 1-0 Lone Star Conference), and he’s put up video game-like statistics this year. In his team’s 98-20 season-opening victory over East Texas Baptist University, Rollison was 25-for-32, throwing for 546 yards and six touchdowns. He’s emerged as a leader helping to transform the Division II program and is garnering attention from NFL scouts, six of which were at his first game of the season.

“It’s been a long journey, but I don’t regret anything that happened,” Rollison said. “I’m here for a reason.”

Rollison was ranked as the 11th-best quarterback in his class by Scout.com and attended Auburn out of high school. He led Sulphur Springs (Texas) High School to its only state championship in 2008 and planned to play for the Tigers in 2009, but got the flu during training camp. He missed practice time and then redshirted.

And that was just the beginning.

Rollison was suspended by Auburn for the 2010 Outback Bowl due to academics. He was expected to compete for the starting job the next year but transferred to Sam Houston State to be closer to home, and current Carolina Panthers’ quarterback Cam Newton led Auburn to a national title.

After receiving a medical redshirt at Sam Houston State, he transferred to Tyler Junior College and played his freshman and sophomore seasons there. In 2012, he was named a National Junior College Athletic Association honorable mention All-American.

He then had two more years of eligibility and chose Texas A&M-Commerce and took a risk on a school that only had two wins in its prior two seasons — joining the program at the same time that Carthel did.

“It was just ‘Hey, we’re going to be here, we’re going to be working hard, we’re going to recruit good players,’” Carthel said of his pitch to Rollison. “Come be the guy that makes it happen for us.”

Carthel first saw Rollison play when Sulphur Springs played Wichita Falls Rider (Texas) High School on ESPN2 in 2008 and tracked his career ever since. When Carthel took over as head coach, he knew his team needed a quarterback and Rollison needed a school. Rollison was sold on Carthel’s proposed high-powered offense and the proximity to Sulphur Springs.

When future teammates learned Rollison would be transferring in, they researched him. Wide receiver Vernon Johnson watched videos of Rollison on Hudl.com and knew his new quarterback would be pretty good.

Rollison is making good on Johnson’s prediction.

“He slips some passes in some holes that I’m just like I don’t know how he does it,” Johnson said.

This year, he’s back as a senior with one final season of a turbulent career.

Regardless of his past, Rollison still possesses the exceptional skills that made him a U.S. Army All-American in high school. He still drops 70-yard passes right on the money, slides in the pocket effortlessly and guides teammates with poise and conviction.

Said Rollison of his journey: “I would have to say as far as it affecting me playing ball, I don’t think it has. I just go out there and do what I’ve been doing for the last 10 years.”