Field Hockey

Page balancing role in defense, attack for Syracuse

Bryan Cereijo|Contributing Photographer

Jordan Page plays a crucial role for Syracuse on both ends of the field. It's a duality she's balancing as the Orange moves deeper into its ACC schedule

For Jordan Page, switching positions mid-game is nothing new. In fact, it’s a common occurrence.

Officially listed as a back on Syracuse’s roster, Page often sees time at forward when the fifth-ranked Orange needs a spark.

Trailing by a goal midway through the second half against Albany on Sept. 6, Syracuse head coach Ange Bradley turned to the 5-foot-2 spark plug in Page.

Page wasted little time coming through for the Orange (6-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast), netting her fifth goal of the year — the first goal Albany allowed all season — in just her sixth game. The goal brought her closer to her career-high of nine goals in a season, a mark she set in 2012, splitting time at back and forward. Counting on the Denver, Pennsylvania native seems to be a carryover from last year for Bradley.

“Jordan is a very good attacker,” Bradley said. “I keep pushing her up into the attack. At times she wants to stay defensive, but she needs to recognize that she’s an attacker even though her positioning has changed from last year’s to this year’s team.

“She’s in a great position to create and score goals for us.”

Attacking isn’t something new for the two-time U.S. Under-17 and U-21 team member and an All-ACC Tournament selectee in 2013. As a senior at Cocalcio (Pa.) High School, Page was named a first team All-American as she finished with 66 goals and 72 assists in her career.

Although attacking isn’t new to her, Bradley said Page sometimes hesitates to jump up into the attack for fear of an opponent catching her out of position.

“Sometimes I have to get on her to jump up into the attack,” Bradley said. “It’s like, ‘Hey, Jordan. Get up there.’ Once she jumped up things seemed to click, as you could see.

“She’s still learning that she has teammates behind her who will cover for her.”

Against the Great Danes, Page played an integral role in shutting down Albany’s offense for more than 50 minutes, before switching mainly to forward, adding the equalizer off of a pinpoint feed from freshman midfielder Lieke Visser.

As the Orange looks to progress into this season, SU will need the scoring and leadership that Page provides across the field.

“She’s one of the most willing athletes I’ve ever coached,” Bradley said. “She’ll do anything that’s needed for this team. That’s a great testament to her as a player.”

Whether that means shutting down opposing offenses for 70 minutes a game, or joining the rush when the team needs a big goal, Page is constantly moving and adapting.

“That’s what makes Syracuse hockey so good,” Page said. “We work hard and we do whatever it takes to win as a team.”