Office of Multicultural Affairs coordinator plans barbecue food truck near Syracuse campus

Cedric Bolton has been experimenting with barbecue sauces and rib recipes on his small smoker for almost two decades. But it wasn’t until he started hosting cookouts in his backyard that he realized he struck gold.

“It started as a spark from the backyard barbecues, and it kept growing until I stepped out on faith,” Bolton said. “I didn’t want to have any regrets down the road.”

Now, Bolton, a coordinator of student engagement in the Office of Multicultural Affairs, is looking to take his love for smoked cooking to greener pastures. Using the nickname his father gave him as a young adult, he created BoDean’s Smoked Chicken & Ribs, a company that aims to provide Memphis and Texas-style barbecue to the Syracuse area.

Bolton plans to start his business as a food truck specializing in home-cooked barbecue and a variety of hearty and light sides. He said his cooking is reminiscent of the food of his childhood.

“I adopted all of these favorite tastes from my family. Everything on my menu is what I grew up on and enjoyed all my life,” Bolton said.

Bolton is currently hosting a Kickstarter campaign to bring his company to campus. So far, 49 backers have pledged $2,495 with 10 days to go to reach Bolton’s $15,000 goal. Those who donate can receive a variety of prizes dependent on the amount of money they donate, including complimentary meals, their names sketched inside of the truck, T-shirts and a catered party for the donor and his or her closest friends.

Bolton said some of the locations he has considered serving are Marshall Street, South Campus, the Westcott community or in downtown Syracuse.

Rianne Parker, a junior mechanical engineering major, met Bolton during the first few weeks of her freshman year when she walked through the doors of the OMA. These days, Parker said Bolton is like a second father to her. Parker helped push Bolton to take chances on himself and his business. She also helped him showcase his food at different events in the Syracuse community, including the Taste of Syracuse, where the Syracuse community had its first taste of Bolton’s food.

Parker added that the food would add a diverse option to the late night food culture in Syracuse and give students the feel of a home-cooked meal.

“It’s coming at a great time, I think, because it’ll provide a different variety of foods,” Parker said. “A lot of food here doesn’t give the warmth that home-cooked food gives. It’s such a warm feeling that a lot of college students don’t always get.”

The menu will boast a wide array of smoked delicacies, entirely homemade by Bolton. Patrons can choose from normal barbecue staples and sides such as macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, apple slaw and fresh fruit smoothies.

Gwendolyn Pough, Bolton’s wife, has been a part of the creative process since the backyard barbecue days when he was smoking meats for friends and family. To Pough, Bolton’s barbecue is better than Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, a Syracuse staple.

“The ribs are better than Dinosaur, the sauce is better than any I’ve ever tasted,” Pough said. “And I’m not just saying that because I’m his wife, I hear everyone say that.”

Students will also be able to get their hands in the business. Bolton hopes his food truck will open up job opportunities for students whenever they have free time in their schedules.

Parker said she hopes people will donate to Bolton’s Kickstarter, as Bolton himself has helped others in the same way.

“He’s always a support system,” Parker said. “I think that to help him achieve a dream of his, because he’s sacrificed so much everyone else, would be the best way to give back.”

Bolton said he wants to have the food truck up and running as soon as next spring. The average cost to buy a food truck ranges from $20,000–80,000, according to his Kickstarter page, but Bolton said his time in the OMA and at Syracuse University has given him faith in himself and his mission.

Said Bolton: “I believe if I keep knocking on doors, eventually the right one will open up.”