Meet Monday

Meet Monday: Sarineh Garapetian

Genevieve Pilch | Staff photographers

Sarineh Garapetian has used what she has learned as an acting student to improve her modeling. Garapetian was born in Boston, but raised in Armenia.

When Sarineh Garapetian first started modeling at age 14, she was just helping her design student friends with an accessories advertisement they were creating as a project.

Since then, the sophomore acting major has modeled for publications such as Armenian Cosmopolitan and Prestige Magazine.

Recently, she passed the first round of a Marc by Marc Jacobs casting call. The brand is recruiting models for its Spring 2015 campaign through social media. To enter, prospective models had to tweet or Instagram a photo with the hashtag, #castmemarc.

After passing the first round, Garapetian had to send a short video talking about herself, some photos of herself and contact information. She does not know when she will find out if she passed round two.

“I was really excited, but at the same time I’m not trying to get my hopes up,” Garapetian said. “I’m trying to concentrate on what I’m doing now.”

Born in Boston and raised in Armenia, Garapetian said the modeling industries in the United States and in Armenia differ greatly. She described the business in Armenia as more laidback, lacking the structure that agencies in the U.S. provide.

As an acting major, Garapetian is immersed in the performing arts. She applies what she learns acting onstage to posing in front of the camera.

“After going to Syracuse for a year, I got the sense of how my body works and how that can change a scene, and with modeling, how that can change a picture,” Garapetian said.

One of Garapetian’s favorite memories from modeling was doing a photo shoot in a carpet factory in Armenia with one of her good friends, who photographed shots from different angles, such as a bird’s-eye view.

“We didn’t know what we were doing, but because we had that relationship, it was a fun process,” she said. “Even though we didn’t get that many shots, the ones that we did have were really good.”

Although she hopes to continue modeling, Garapetian considers it more of a hobby than a career. Acting is the primary passion she hopes to pursue.

“I like to work with photographers and people I can connect with,” Garapetian said. “I like the process of it more than the result.”