From the Calendar

Indoor trampoline park Sky Zone comes to Syracuse, provides fun way to exercise

Frankie Prijatel | Asst. Photo Editor

Jenna Downey, a freshman at Fayetteville-Manlius High School, does a backflip on a trampoline at Sky Zone, the new indoor trampoline park on Erie Boulevard. Sky Zone offers free jump as well as exercise classes, basketball and dodgeball.

The sky’s the limit at Sky Zone indoor trampoline park on Erie Boulevard.

Sky Zone just opened a new location about 10 minutes away from campus. Calling themselves the inventors of ‘fun fitness,’ Sky Zone gives jumpers of all ages the freedom to gallivant from one trampoline to the next, while burning calories and strengthening muscles.

“Our goal is to disguise exercise,” said general manager Matt Patterson. “We have the most unique concept for fun and fitness. We focus more on the fun, but the fitness comes along with it.”

Sky Zone Healthy, Sky Zone’s health and fitness initiative, predicts that one hour of jumping will burn 1,000 calories, as well as challenging the stomach, arm and leg muscles. Patterson visited the Sky Zone headquarters in Los Angeles where they were trained in SkyRobics classes and said the Syracuse location will begin offering these trampoline and exercise cross-courses next week.

“It is such a good exercise but it’s also really fun. You don’t even realize you’re sweating until your session is over,” said Miriam Rossi, a senior child and family studies major who has paid several visits to the Sky Zone, both in Syracuse and her hometown of Cleveland.

Going to Sky Zone also has other health benefits in addition to toning your body. Sky Zone encourages its visitors to move through each section of the facility, so people are consistently jumping against gravity. This style of movement has been proven to improve cardiovascular health and is much easier on your joints, Patterson said.

Regardless if you come for the workout, or just want to have a blast, visitors of Sky Zone have the option to both free jump or participate in one of the center’s many activities. The individual trampolines are tethered together and allow for a total of 42 jumpers at once, so you can have your own space but also jump with friends.

If free jumping isn’t your thing, then Sky Slam, Sky Zone’s trampoline court, a favorite of both Patterson and Rossi, may be more your style. This long trampoline has two different level hoops at each end so kids and adults can play at the same time.

“I love this trampoline because I love basketball, so it’s fun to jump up to the hoops and dunk,” Rossi said.

But basketball isn’t the only game played at Sky Zone. There are also three trampoline dodgeball courts for pick-up games and Adult Drop-In Dodgeball, which takes place Sundays from 6:30–8 p.m.

Another feature of Sky Zone is the Foam Zone, a pit that’s filled with about 10,000 foam cubes. Three long trampolines lead into the pit so jumpers can race down and do tricks into the pit.

The indoor, warehouse-style park charges a 30-minute fee of $10 for those who sign up to free jump. If you’re looking to bounce around for more than that, you can do 60 minutes for $14, 90 minutes for $18 or two hours for $22. In addition to the hourly fee, bouncers are required to wear Sky Socks, which you can buy for an additional $2. These specific socks have an extra sticky bottom so visitors don’t slip.

“It’s 2,500 square feet of awesomeness,” Patterson said. “That’s what we like to say.”