Freshman gains recognition for travel photography

It’s not uncommon for students to leave the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications having published their work in the likes of CNN.com, BBC.com and Photo District News. What is uncommon is entering Newhouse with these accomplishments.

But freshman photojournalism major Chase Guttman has each of those publications on his resume. The 17-year-old travel photographer was published and honored for his work many times throughout his high school career. Earlier this month, on USA Today he was voted the No. 3 top travel photoblogger.

“I was very excited to be nominated by USA Today, and I think it’s an indicator of the next chapter of my career, and I hope it means great things are to come,” Guttman said.

Guttman is no stranger to awards, though. Among his many distinctions, he was named Young Travel Photographer of the Year in 2010 and 2013, and he was the first American to ever win the award.

Travel photography is in Guttman’s blood. His father, Peter Guttman, is an award-winning travel journalist.

“My only real professional training was my dad,” Guttman said. “Following in his footsteps and just seeing how he saw the world and how he showed the world through his camera.”

But Peter Guttman doesn’t take credit for his son’s success.

“He had such a good eye that when we first got him a camera, not before too long, he would be in the precise spot I would want to be to get a shot, but he was already there,” his father said.

Peter Guttman stressed that his son’s success is something he achieved on his own — not because of his father’s career in travel photography. Guttman is now even helping his father to find professional opportunities.

Guttman was featured in the New York Institute of Photography’s “Top Ten Travel Photo Tips: From Ten Pro Photographers” book. Only after he was interviewed for the book did the institute call his father to ask for an interview as well. The two were both featured in the book.

Both father and son say their love and passion for photography has given them a special bond; it’s something they can do together. The duo hopes to visit Antarctica in the future and also go tornado chasing in upcoming summers.

In addition to various media outlets, Guttman has also shot for clients such as Fodors Travel Publications.

When Fabrizio La Rocca, a longtime family friend of the Guttmans, was the creative director at Fodor’s Travel, he hired Guttman to work on a digital project that featured panoramas of New York City and geotagged hotspots.

“He’s curious and interested in people,” La Rocca said. “It’s not easy to place yourself in front of people from different parts of the world that don’t speak your language and don’t understand what you’re trying to do and get them to be natural.”

Guttman’s inspiration comes from his father, but also from photographers like Sebastião Salgado and Henri Cartier-Bresson.

He is driven by the idea that you only live once.

“It’s cheesy as hell — but in general, life just inspires me. I only have one life to live,” Guttman said. “My entire life goals are about seeing as much of the world and experiencing as much of the world as I can, and I just so happen to do that through my photography.”

As a travel photographer, Guttman has been to all 50 states and 48 countries. Of all the photographs he’s taken, he has one favorite: a photo taken at the Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino, California, featuring a vintage car with Route 66 and a sunset in the background.

Every time Guttman looks through the viewfinder, he captures not only a photo, but also a memory.

One of these memories that particularly stood out to Guttman took place during a family road trip through the South.

When his family was camping on a platform in the middle of a swamp filled with crocodiles in South Carolina, Guttman woke up covered in mosquito bites all over his body, even on his face. The next day, he found himself face to face with President Jimmy Carter. The family had driven down to Plains, Georgia to attend Easter mass at Carter’s church. By chance, they ended up sitting at the same table as Carter and his wife at breakfast.

His interaction with Carter — despite the persistent itch from his mosquito bites — had special meaning because of Guttman’s passion for U.S. history and politics. He has been able to recite all the U.S. presidents in order since he was 5 years old. His dream is to one day be the White House photographer.

Guttman’s advice for aspiring photographers hoping to break into the industry is simple: go out and do it.

“It’s really just about going out there, experiencing life and happening to have your camera with you,” Guttman said. “If you’re already doing that and you’re having a good time, then that’s the way to go.”