Men's soccer

Ekblom goal pushes Syracuse past Rutgers for 3-0 start to season

Three games, three clean sheets.

On Friday night in Piscataway, New Jersey, Syracuse edged Rutgers 1-0, completing the Orange’s first 3-0 start to a season since 2006. Sophomore Emil Ekblom delivered the game’s only goal in the 74th minute to end the scoreless tie.

SU will go for its first 4-0 start since 2005 on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in Queens, New York, against St. John’s.

“I thought we were very good tonight, played some good soccer,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. “To come to a place like this, an environment like this, and get a win, it’s very pleasing.”

Syracuse attempted eight shots and eight corner kicks in the first half, compared to just four shots and no corner kicks for the Scarlet Knights. SU forwards Chris Nanco and Julian Buescher had two shots on goal each in the first half.

“It was a good start, we just couldn’t capitalize on the chances that we created,” McIntyre said. “As the game went on into the second half, you just hope that you haven’t missed your chances.”

Ekblom, Syracuse’s leading scorer last year, scored the game’s first goal, as he did on Sunday against Niagara. In the 74th minute, Ekblom got a hold of a cross from midfielder Oyvind Alseth and headed it past Rutgers keeper David Greczek.

“If he gets a chance, we think he’s going to take it,” McIntyre said of Ekblom. “And it was a great cross from Oyvind.”

SU goalkeeper Alex Bono turned aside six shots on net, including a crucial save with five minutes remaining in regulation. With three shutouts this season, Bono’s 21 career clean sheets now sit one shy of Robert Cavicchia (1995-98) for second all-time in program history.

McIntyre said Bono had quality support all night from the defenders in front of him, but had to make a few keys saves in the match’s final minutes.

Said McIntyre: “(But) that’s why you have a goalkeeper of the ilk and the ability of Alex.”