Broyld injury: McDonald says Broyld doesn’t think lower-body injury is ‘anything serious’

Ashton Broyld left the game with a lower-right leg injury in the second quarter of Syracuse’s (2-1) 34-20 loss to Maryland (3-1) on Saturday afternoon. Following the game, SU offensive coordinator George McDonald said that Broyld was in good spirits.

McDonald said that he saw Broyld after the game and that Broyld “didn’t think it was anything serious.” SU head coach Scott Shafer didn’t offer any update on Broyld in his postgame press conference. 

“Not yet. We’ll hopefully know in a few hours when we get him checked out, but he’s got a lower leg injury,” Shafer said. “We got a little banged up today.”

After going to the ground after colliding with Terrapins linebacker Yannick Ngakoue, Broyld slammed his fist into the Carrier Dome turf while medical staff jogged out to meet him. McDonald attributed that to more frustration than pain, citing Broyld’s competitiveness.

As for affecting the Syracuse offense, McDonald didn’t think that Broyld’s absence slowed down the attack too much. Terrel Hunt still threw for 219 yards in the loss.

“Hopefully he’ll be back sooner than later,” McDonald said. “But if not we got some guys on the wings to take some of the reps.”