Wilson wins backup quarterback battle, will be 1st option behind Hunt Friday night

Austin Wilson is the No. 2 quarterback for Syracuse on Friday night, quarterbacks coach Tim Lester said Tuesday evening.

The sophomore Wilson was listed in the top backup spot alongside AJ Long when Syracuse released its two-deep depth chart Monday. But Lester said he won the position battle with a strong arm and improving footwork, maintaining that Long and Mitch Kimble will still get meaningful reps in practice.

“His feet are comfortable and things are starting to come out of his hand on time,” Lester said. “And everything last year, he could throw it, but it was just a second late. And he was really the first one of those three to relax and let his arm be a positive for him.”

Starting quarterback Terrel Hunt also spoke highly of Wilson’s development, admiring the backup’s success as an underdog in the position battle and saying he constantly pushed the Camp Hill, Pennsylvania native.

Hunt and Wilson work closely together, Hunt said, with the older quarterback making sure the younger takes notes.

“I tell him that all the time. He says, ‘Going into camp last year I was fourth string, now I’m second string.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, you know, but you’re still not first,’” Hunt said. “I just remind him all the time. I just tell him that he’s got to keep working. I was in that same position, so I tell him that second string isn’t good enough. I really want him to push.”