Syracuse releases Week 1 depth chart for Villanova game

Syracuse released its pre-Villanova depth chart on Monday, clearing up some of the positional battles that were fought over during training camp. The Orange hosts the Wildcats at the Carrier Dome on Friday at 7:30 p.m. 

Highlights:

•Both quarterbacks A.J. Long and Austin Wilson are listed as second-string quarterbacks. Sophomore Mitch Kimble is not on the depth chart.

•Ashton Broyld is pegged as the second-string H-back behind Brisly Estime, after being listed as a first-team wide receiver in the preseason depth chart.

•At wide receiver, fifth-year senior Adrian Flemming is one of the first-stringers and freshman Steve Ishmael is a second-teamer. 

•On the offensive line, right tackle Ivan Foy leapfrogged Michael Lasker, who was listed first at the spot in the preseason depth chart.

•Guard Rob Trudo is first at the right guard position. Nick Robinson was at the top of the position in the preseason depth chart, but head coach Scott Shafer ruled him out for the Villanova game with an ankle sprain.

•With Josh Parris sidelined a few more weeks after undergoing a knee surgery, Kendall Moore is listed as the first-team tight end with freshman Jamal Custis right behind him.

•On the defensive line, Robert Welsh and Micah Robinson appear to be the starters at defensive end for Syracuse. Ron Thompson was listed as a first-teamer in the preseason depth chart, but will spell both Welsh and Robinson. Also, Marcus Coleman has the edge on Isaiah Johnson at defensive tackle.

•Freshman Juwan Dowels clinched the fourth cornerback spot over Cordell Hudson, Corey Winfield and others. He is listed behind senior Brandon Reddish, while Julian Whigham and Wayne Morgan hold down the other cornerback spot.

•Freshmen linebackers Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett also cracked SU’s two-deep roster.

•Ryan Norton will kick field goals in place of Ross Krautman. Norton had taken most of the first reps throughout training camp during practices open to the media.