Letter to the Editor

Student challenges negative reactions to party school ranking

While a ranking as the No. 1 party school in America may seem crippling to some, I recommend that they reconsider their opposition. I also urge those who oppose the ranking to reference last year’s response from University of Iowa after it was given the title. Where they claimed the title as the nation’s top party school, they demonstrated that they had managed to create an environment where their students — who are known to be bright and ambitious — had learned to balance a fulfilling social and academic life.

With that in mind I ask that we take our recent status as No. 1 and accept it without contempt. Over the last year Syracuse has been home to an exceptional group of individuals, who have proven that one does not have to sacrifice a social life for one rich in academia. At Syracuse I believe that the two go hand in hand. We breed a unique group of students. A uniqueness that should be upheld, not changed.

Accept our student body for what we are.

Because what this University has really shown with its latest ranking is that you can have it all. In one place. In one student body. In one frozen tundra.

However before I go, let us not forget that the same governing body also ranked Syracuse No. 2 in the nation for best school paper. A ranking I hope no one intends to change.

Sincerely yours,

Samantha Lee Robles
Sophomore student in The College of Visual and Preforming Arts​