Campus Issues

Rodgers: Incoming students should utilize Counseling Center

Starting college can be an exciting time in a young person’s life. But with worries of excelling academically, building new relationships and figuring out how to be independent and self-reliant, it is easy to get caught up in preparing for the future and not enjoy the moment.

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has found that when stress and anxiety interfere with normal activities, symptoms of an anxiety disorder may be present. Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental health problems on college campuses, and 80 percent of college students say they frequently or sometimes experience daily stress.

Depression is a condition that also affects young college students; the ADAA reports that 34 percent of students have felt depressed at some point in the past three months.

At Syracuse University, the Counseling Center offers students the opportunity receive help for anxiety and depression — and other mental health concerns — through individual or group counseling, or even through the eight week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program. With a short-term therapy model, counselors are able to listen and guide students through their concerns.

As an Orientation Leader, I’ve had the opportunity to meet students and their families from around the world as they start a new journey. Some students arrive already excited to finally be college students, and are ready to mix and mingle with the other students.

I, on the other hand, seemed to be a bit more nervous as an incoming student. I felt filled with worry to start school, compared to many of my peers; the natural jitters most students had seemed to be amplified for me. But I soon realized I was not alone in these feelings, considering the many other college students that experience the same or similar feelings of anxiety.

The university’s resources are also well-suited to guide students on a journey to wellness, through counseling services and other initiatives that support a healthy well-being.

Anxiety can be faced head on at SU. Some options include working out at the various workout facilities on campus, taking a stroll around campus or speaking with someone at the Counseling Center.

The dedication that student and staff volunteers possessed during Welcome Week enabled me to see myself thriving at this place, and not fearful of all that could go wrong. Meeting upperclassmen that were Orientation Leaders, a part of other organizations or just attendingWelcome Week events helped me to learn even more about the place I would be calling home for the next four years.

Across the board, SU provides students with many outlets to naturally ease stress and break the cycle of anxiety that many college students experience.

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].