Chuck's Cafe

Judge orders Chuck’s Cafe to pay debt collector more than $5,400

Chuck’s Cafè has been ordered to pay more than $5,400 after its owner ignored repeated notices about a lawsuit brought by a debt collector, a judge ruled on Thursday.

The Pittston, Pa., location of food distributer US Foods Inc.,  which is about 25 minutes south of Scranton, sued the bar Jan. 16 for $4,341.55 in unpaid bills.  In the lawsuit, the lawyer for the food distributer said Chuck’s Cafè had entered into an agreement for the “delivery of goods and services” with the company, though it does not elaborate.

In all, Chuck’s Cafè, at 727 S. Crouse Ave., will have to pay $4,341.55 — plus 18 percent annual interest since March 29, 2013 — as well as $1,085.38 in attorney’s fees,  Onondaga County Supreme Court Justice James Murphy ruled. Murphy’s order was not processed and available online until Friday.

US Foods Inc. lawyer Albert DiGiacomo did not return a phone call to his office and home on Friday afternoon, as well as an email. A spokeswoman for the Rosemont, Ill.based company also did not return a message and email late Friday.

Since the lawsuit was filed in January, the court docket shows the complaint was served to Chuck’s Cafè owner Stephen Theobald’s home two more times.

When reached at the bar on Friday, Theobald said he was unaware of any lawsuit against his company, Stephen C. Theobald Productions Inc.

“I have no idea. Not aware,” he said, before hanging up.